The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Double Peony Tulip Angelique

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by ND farm girl on August 11, 2006 02:25 PM
These are still blooming here. My mother loved them when she was here last weekend to get sweet corn. I'm guessing these will just multiply over the years and divide them like regular tulips? I have to order some more bulbs, they are very pretty. It's a tulip that looks like a peony, hence - the name! [Smile] [thumb]

PattyM
by patches1414 on August 11, 2006 07:39 PM
Wow, I thought the Double Peony Tulip Angelique only bloomed in the spring! They are some of the prettiest tulips I have ever seen, and I really love their soft, pink color! [Love] Do you have a picture of them?

Yes, they should multiply very nicely for you and they can be divided just like any other tulip. [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on August 11, 2006 11:57 PM
You really are lucky to have them blooming this late in the season. When did you plant the bulbs? Maybe you discovered a new variety? If so, you can name it. [Big Grin]

I've had miserable luck with them even carrying over winter here. They are so beautiful though it's worth the expense to buy more each year. [Wink] Like Patti, I would love to see a picture of them.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on August 12, 2006 12:36 AM
Yes, I did take a picture, will post as soon as I get film developed (can't seem to part with my Canon for a digital camera!).

I am trying to remember where I bought them, Burpee I think, and I did find on the internet that some varieties are called "late" something or other, because they bloom late. I planted them last fall.

PattyM
by TulsaRose on August 12, 2006 01:21 AM
Usually the reference to "late" regarding Tulips means late spring...April or May.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing might be summer blooming double Anemones? Some varieties look very much like a Peony bloom but the foliage is not EVEN similar to the strap leaves of Tulips. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on August 12, 2006 04:02 AM
I don't remember planting those...The stems do look like tulips. I just emailed Burpee the item number, because they no longer have that item number, and asked them what exactly it is. Will get back to you with info as well as pictures.

PattyM
by comfrey on August 12, 2006 04:20 AM
I had a bunch of the Angelique tulips....But what I hated was the ones I had were a very yucky green before they changed to the pretty pink. I dug them up and gave them away. But if I remember right they bloomed later then my other tulips.

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 12, 2006 04:59 AM
quote:
I'm wondering if what you are seeing might be summer blooming double Anemones?
Rosie, I was wondering the same thing! [thinker] I've never seen any tulips blooming this late in the season, [dunno] but I'm always willing to learn something new. [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by ND farm girl on August 12, 2006 05:27 AM
Uuu! I was just out in the yard and the white ones have purple tips on them! Darn it - I need to get to Fargo to get these pic's developed to show you! [flower]

PattyM
by patches1414 on August 12, 2006 05:50 AM
quote:
Uuu! I was just out in the yard and the white ones have purple tips on them! Darn it - I need to get to Fargo to get these pic's developed to show you!
White ones? [dunno] I thought the Double Peony Tulip Angelique were pink, but I could be wrong because I'm really not that much into tulips. I love [Love] pink flowers, so ANY pink flowers catch my eye, but if these come in different colors I may not have noticed. [Embarrassed] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm anxious to see the pictures!

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 12, 2006 08:01 AM
The Angelique is pink and like Comfrey said, when in bud, kind of freaky looking green\pink combo. [Big Grin]

Tulip 'Angelique'

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 12, 2006 10:26 PM
Thanks Rosie, I thought it was, but I just wasn't real sure!

-
 -
by ND farm girl on August 13, 2006 12:39 AM
Now I AM CURIOUS as to what exactly I have growing! I will be going to town today for school shopping and will develop the film and post the picture tonight, I'm sure I have taken one of the purple one. I was on the Internet until midnight last night trying to find out exactly what I planted, and went through all my orders of bulbs last fall! The colors I have are light pink, purple, white with purple. There are more than one flower on a stem - the stem is very strong and pretty tall, and the flower looks like a tulip/rose/peony mixture.

PattyM
by TulsaRose on August 13, 2006 03:32 AM
What does the foliage look like? Long, strappy leaves or ???

Do these look anything like your flowers?
 - Double Freesia

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on August 13, 2006 12:27 PM
Hey - I think that's it Rosie? Here is it finally!

-

I just posted it in the mystery subject.

PattyM
by patches1414 on August 13, 2006 01:51 PM
ND, it reminds me a lot of a Lisianthus because mine had those thin, spikey clusters, like I see in your picture, and that's where the buds formed and came out!

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 13, 2006 11:44 PM
Good ID, Patti...and they are gorgeous, ND! Glad the mystery is solved. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 14, 2006 11:14 AM

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 14, 2006 11:19 AM
quote:
Good ID, Patti...and they are gorgeous, ND!
Thanks, Rosie! [kissies] Lisianthus are such a gorgeous flower [flower] [flower] and they remind me of roses without the smell, [Wink] and this is plus for me because I don't like the smell of roses! [Frown]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: