The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Slow cooker roast

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: slow cooker meals?| Next thread: slow death of all my house plants »
Back to Thread index
by ShirlS on January 11, 2006 09:10 AM
This is just the best roast ever! Take your roast and place it fat side up in the slow cooker. In a large measuring cup or small bowl mix the following together. 1-12 oz cola, 1 pk of onion soup mix, 1 pkg of brown gravy mix, stir that all up and pour over the roast. I cook it on high for 4-6 hours ( until tender). When the roast is done remove it and thicken what is left for the gravy.

Shirl

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by ChristinaC on January 11, 2006 09:20 AM
Hi Shirl [wavey]

I've heard that coke is a great tenderizer for both beef and pork. What cut of beef do you prefer to roast this way? Chuck? Rump? Blade? I just got a new dutch oven for Christmas and I can't wait to use it..this might be my first meal! I'm sure it would work much the same...I too usually do my roasts in the crockpot but like I said, I just can't wait to use the dutch oven.
Thanx, Christina

-
 -
by ShirlS on January 11, 2006 09:24 AM
Hi Christina!

I typically use a round roast. I find them to be alot less fatty. I have used a few different cuts, but round is my favorite for this recipe.

I agree that the dutch oven would be pretty much the same. The coke really does a wonderful job tenderizing the meat. Enjoy it when you make it!

Shirl

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by ServantsHeart2003 on January 12, 2006 05:26 AM
I'm assuming you cook your potatoes, carrots, etc with the roast?? Or separately?? Sounds realy good!! Haven't had a GOOD Pot roast in a LONG time!!

-

My Site
http://www.freewebs.com/froglver/
by ShirlS on January 12, 2006 07:03 AM
Nope Servantsheart,

I just make mashed potatoes on the side, and whatever veggie I can get my hubby to eat [shocked] . I suppose you could put the carrots and potato in the crockpot too, but they would be drowned in liquid. Maybe the last bit of cooking time would work.

Shirl

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by ChristinaC on January 24, 2006 10:18 AM
Hi Shirl [wavey]

I did a roast today but I didn't do it your way. I'd like to but I'm curious about the gravy. Does it end up being really sweet?

Christina

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on January 25, 2006 10:00 AM
I'm gonna try this tomorrow.
I usually just stick the roast in the crock pot, cut up some potatoes, carrots and onions and dump them on top, then dump a can of Golden Mushroom soup over it and let it cook.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by ShirlS on January 27, 2006 03:33 AM
Sorry I did not reply sooner!

I totally missed that there was any action on this thread. Ditzy eh?

Christina- No the gravy is not ultra sweet. I think the onion soup mix and the brown gravy counteract the sweetness.

Cindy- If you do try it please let Christina know what you thought of it. I love the recipe, therefore I am considered biased. [Big Grin]

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by beachlover on February 06, 2006 11:39 PM
hi new poster

i substitute coffee for soda
by afgreyparrot on February 07, 2006 12:30 AM
quote:
Cindy- If you do try it please let Christina know what you thought of it.
It was delicious! [thumb]

quote:
i substitute coffee for soda
You mean like a cup of coffee? I think that would be good! [grin] I bet it makes good gravy!

Beachlover...I have some "people" down in your country!
Good fishing down there! [grin]

Welcome to the forum! [wavey]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Amber J on February 07, 2006 01:39 AM
Mmmmmm that sounds good! I usually do it with just the onion mix, but I'll try the coke too!

BTW, if you cook veggies like potatoes or carrots with it, put them on the bottom. They take longer to cook, and if you put em on top they may be crunchy.
by Amber J on February 07, 2006 01:44 AM
I just thought of something - I make this recipe all the time cause my hubby loves it, and a couple weeks ago we had a bunch of stuff that was about to go bad, so I threw it all in w/ the roast. I put in a couple cans of condensed tomato soup, some tomatoes, onions, potatoes, celery, a couple jalapeno peppers, celery salt, mustard powder, S&P, and a couple other things I can't remember - it was soooooo yummy! When It was done I put some in a bowl w/ a dollop of sour cream on top.

I also heard a recipe with chicken - you throw in some breasts, let it simmer for a few hours, when you get home you shred it up with your fingers and then dump a jar of salsa in there! You can make burrit filling
by ShirlS on February 07, 2006 03:33 AM
Hi Beachlover welcome to the forum. Coffee sounds liek it would make a nice brown gravy also.

Amber- That collection of toss in's sound good too! There is so much we can do eh?

Shirl

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Amber J on February 07, 2006 11:57 PM
I love my crockpot! How could I not love something that cooks for me while I'm at work?
by patches1414 on February 20, 2006 03:24 AM
Hi Shirl,

Approximately, what size roast did you use? I got a 3-quart Slow Cooker for Christmas and I've been looking for recipes because I wasn't impressed with he few recipes that cme with it. This sounds like something I would like to try.

patches1414

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by ShirlS on February 20, 2006 11:42 PM
HI Patches,

The size of the roast I use varies. I just grab one that looks big enough, to feed the number of folks I am having. If the roast you want to cook fits into your cooker. Go for it!!

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by patches1414 on February 21, 2006 12:03 AM
Thanks Shirl!!!

Since my slow-cooker is so small, I wasn't sure if it was necessry to cut down on the cola and especially the onion soup mix. I just didn't want the gravy to taste like onion gravy.

Have a BEAUTIFUL Day!

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by ShirlS on February 26, 2006 07:12 AM
Sure you could go half recipe. I am sure it would work just fine.

Have a soopa doopa day too!!!

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by patches1414 on February 26, 2006 07:41 AM
Okay Shirl, I think I'll make it tomorrow because it's going to be chilly and that sounds so good and warm! Thanks!!! [thumb]

Have a GREAT day! [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by ShirlS on February 26, 2006 10:44 AM
Good luck with it Patches!

let me know if you liked it. If you don't, I will pretend I didn't give the recipe out [lala]

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by patches1414 on February 28, 2006 05:43 PM
Hi Shirl! [wavey]

I loved it! [Love] It was delicious! I only used half of the onion soup mix and about 3/4 can of Coke, but I did use the whole envelope of brown gravy mix. Thanks for GREAT recipe! [thumb]

Have a BEAUTIFUL day! [flower] [flower] [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by beachlover on February 28, 2006 11:41 PM
hi cindy and shirl, sorry i forgot about my post.
yes it does taste good and it tenderizes the meat.
i got that idea from a aunt in north carolina.

yes cindy the fishing is great down here. we went last weekend.

thanks for the welcome. i have this forum on all day while i am at work. i don't post much but i read everything. seems to be alot of nice people here.
by ShirlS on March 01, 2006 12:04 AM
Hi Ladies!

I am happy that you liked it, Patches. You are more than welcome for the recipe.

Hiya Beachlover, Nice to meet you. I am with you on th eposting. The days seem to fly by so fast I don't get the time to be as active here as I would like to be.

have a wonderful day!

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by detectorbill on March 06, 2006 02:07 PM
Try cutting your roast into about 2-3" squares flour and fry it in a skillet just long enough to sear the flavor in. Then place it in the cooker with whatever you like. GREAAAAAT!!!

I feel more like I do now than I did before I ever felt this way.
by penny in ontario on March 08, 2006 12:21 AM
shirl,

that roast sounds really good, i may have to try it..
thanks...
penny
by detectorbill on March 12, 2006 03:22 PM
hey patches, try crockpot.com i got some good stuff there as far as recipes go.

I feel more like I do now than I did before I ever felt this way.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: slow cooker meals?| Next thread: slow death of all my house plants »
Back to Thread index