The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Winter Sowing

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Winter Planting?| Next thread: Winter Sticks »
Back to Thread index
by netwiz on August 03, 2006 08:23 AM
Has anyone tried winter sowing in covered containers? I've been reading about it and like the fact that you put the containers outside instead of taking up room inside. I've been buying seeds like crazy and hope I'm not wasting time and money on this method. Any experienced winter sowers out there? Did it work for you? Thanks!

Joanne
by tkhooper on August 03, 2006 09:38 AM
Hi netwiz,

I tried it last winter with mums but had no success. It could have been the self-harvested seeds. I just haven't had any luck with fall or winter sowing yet.

I'll be interested to hear how you do.

-
 -
by netwiz on August 03, 2006 11:52 AM
Tk, I'm sorry to hear the mums didn't work. I will probably do half outdoors and save half in case things don't germinate. I will have a lot of flower beds to fill once I dig out the 20 or so shrubs that don't work well here. I'm really hoping to get enough plants from seeds next year so I'm not breaking the bank at the nursery. I'll let you know if any of it pans out.

Joanne
by TulsaRose on August 03, 2006 12:16 PM
Ladies, there is a bunch of great info at Wintersown.org that should be very helpful. I've been "studying" recently and plan to make a stab at it this year. Good luck to all of us. lol!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by netwiz on August 03, 2006 11:36 PM
Hi Rosie,

I stumbled across wintersown.org a few weeks ago and have been trying to learn everything I can about it ever since. Glad I have someone else to obsess with this winter! [Big Grin]

Do you know what type of containers you want to use? My 5 year old has been helping me to make the paper pots and I will put a bunch in each covered container. Good luck and I look forward to hearing your ideas about it!

Joanne
by TulsaRose on August 04, 2006 12:59 AM
Joanne, I've been saving half gallon milk jugs but that's as far as I've gotten. I'm worlds worst procrastinator so it may be another year or two before I make an attempt. [Big Grin] There is so much to read and browse through on that website, I still haven't read every area and link. I've heard lots of positive comments from gardeners that use this method though so I do want to try it. I've had miserable luck with trying to start seeds indoors in the late winter\early spring. Marigold, Morning Glories and Hyacinth Bean Vine have been my only successes. I either kill them with kindess or neglect...no happy medium. lol!

I think your idea of the paper pots is excellent. Be sure to let your helper plant seeds of her own and you'll make a lifetime gardener out of her. [Wink] You can plop the whole thing in your planting hole and not disturb the roots as the paper will break down.

I saw an episode of Gardening by the Yard that Paul James actually planted some seeds in egg shell halves. When it was time to plant out, he lightly crushed the shell and planted the whole thing. I guess the shell provided extra nutrients? I can't remember all the details.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by tkhooper on August 04, 2006 02:35 AM
That is a good website. It's the one I read last year that gave me the idea to start some plants in winter.

-
 -
by cinta on August 04, 2006 04:33 AM
I am hooked on wintersowing now. I have found timing is key though. Some people told me last year to sow in our area in February. If we planted in Dec. plants did not do well with the freeze thaw, then thaw again in Feb.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by netwiz on August 04, 2006 03:21 PM
Rosie, I agree that allowing the little ones to be involved and watching their plants grow is priceless. We have been pouring over seed catalogues so he can pick the "perfect" flowers to grow. It makes it all the more exciting for me. [clappy]

Cinta, what part of PA are you from? Thanks for the tip on when to start sowing. I'm glad there are experienced people on the forum who I can pester with my questions. [grin] It will be fun hearing about everyone's progress!

Joanne
by TulsaRose on August 04, 2006 10:39 PM
Joanne, if you have the room, creating a "teepee" from plants is so much fun for kids to participate in. You can use any of the climbing vines for the teepee and then surround it with a "wall" of Sunflowers. Three 6' bamboo stakes should do the trick.

It's been so danged long since I've had little ones around, I thought I would search out some info for you. There are some cute ideas at Worm's Way.com that would excite any five year old. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by netwiz on August 05, 2006 12:40 AM
Thanks Rosie! What a great website. I might have to do the vine teepee AND the sunflower fort next year so my kids won't fight over it. Thank you for the fantastic ideas! I will probably grow some purple carrots and cauliflower next year as well. Who knows, I might even get the kids to eat some veggies. [thumb]

Joanne
by cinta on August 11, 2006 01:42 PM
Joanne, I am in Pittsburgh. I started my winter sow in Feb.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by netwiz on August 11, 2006 03:28 PM
Thanks Cinta, I plan to do the same. By the way, I just looked at your pictures and they are fantastic! I didn't realize how beautiful canna was. Is it hardy?

Joanne

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Winter Planting?| Next thread: Winter Sticks »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: