The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

how to propagate hens and chicks?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: How to plant flowers| Next thread: How to prune raspberries »
Back to Thread index
by kennyso on July 29, 2006 04:16 PM
I've got three chicks and stuck them in garden soil, haven't watered them since (two weeks with a couple of drops of rain, its under the picnic table) and the outer leaves seem to tur n yellow and limp so I peel them off and stick the small stem thing back into the soil, they are starting to open up and the outer petals are turning yellow again. I am going to get a few more chicks tomorrow morning (before the heat comes in) nad I'm going o see what I can do). ANy sugestions?

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by Triss on July 29, 2006 04:45 PM
I did pretty much the same thing with mine. I do water them though and they did turn yellowish at first but then perked right up and have done very well since.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by kennyso on July 30, 2006 01:00 AM
Thanks Triss, did you water them from the bottom or the top? I've never tried hens and chicks before, so forgive me if my questions sound a bit, stupid; bear with me please!

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by tkhooper on July 30, 2006 01:28 AM
Did you say you had them in the shade? I think most I've seen have been in the sun.

-
 -
by Triss on July 30, 2006 06:45 AM
I have mine in a full sun area surrounding my stepping stones and they get watered from the top with my hand water wand, I just kinda wave it over once or twice so the ground looks damp.

Here is the place where they were planted, along with a bunch of other succulents.
 -

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by kennyso on July 30, 2006 11:49 AM
Thanks for your help, I'm going to move the small pot to full sun. I changed the soil too, emptied everything out onto the grass and put in new soil. Hear there's a severe thunderstorm coming our way (gv't issued a warning) so I plan to put it back under the table again when the first few droplets come. Didn't get a chance to pick new ones today, I got too lazy and well...I'll keep you guys posted on their progress.

-
 -

My Website My Blog

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: How to plant flowers| Next thread: How to prune raspberries »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: