The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Columbine Seedlings New Home

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on July 28, 2006 02:37 AM
The columbine seedlings have their set of true leaves and are getting to the size where they need their own space. Needless to say I planted quite a few. So now my questions is. Should I use the egg cartons and plant one seedling per egg space. Or should I use my 4 oz yogurt cups. Or should I use my big bowl and plant all of them in there spaced out. I'm just not sure what to use as the intermediary plant home while they get big enough to plant outside.

I appreciate your help. Or if you can think of anything else I might be able to use that would be good too.

-
 -
by Bill on July 28, 2006 03:05 AM
I would move them into the egg cups until their roots nearly fill the cells, then move them into 4" pots. They should then be fine until spring planting.

-
by tkhooper on July 28, 2006 11:02 AM
Spring planting? I guess that means I can't plant them this fall? Sounds like I messed up again lol. Well I hope they have a sale of 4 in pots around here in the next month or so.

Bill is there a time limit before I'm required to get things right the first time?

Will they survive that long indoors?

-
 -
by Bill on July 28, 2006 11:14 AM
If they are big enough, you can plant them just about anytime that it isn't scorching hot as long as they get enough water! I planted mine (55 of them) about a month ago. I'll post a pix soon. (I started another new garden again.... ) [Roll Eyes]

-
by Triss on July 28, 2006 11:24 AM
Ok so I have a question. If I chill my seeds now and grow them indoors over the winter, will they bloom next spring? Or will they bloom anyhow if I just put the seeds in the garden this fall?

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Bill on July 28, 2006 11:30 AM
I'm afraid that either way, you will be waiting until the following year before you see many (if any) flowers. None of my self sown plants from last fall bloomed this year...

-
by Triss on July 28, 2006 11:31 AM
Awww darn. Now what about the plants that did bloom this year? Do they come back?

-
 -
by Bill on July 28, 2006 11:44 AM
They usually bloom strong for 2-3 years, but after that they lose their vitality pretty quickly.

-
by Triss on July 28, 2006 11:49 AM
And how old do you think the ones you gave me were? Do they die back completely in the winter?

-
 -
by tkhooper on July 29, 2006 02:31 AM
Mine did.

-
 -
by Triss on July 29, 2006 05:46 AM
Ok that is good to know.

-
 -
by tkhooper on July 30, 2006 01:33 AM
Wow I had no idea how much root these little babies had already. I think I'm glad the yogurt cups turned out to be 6 ozs rather than 4 ozs lol. And I'd better get busy eating a bunch more yogurt because more and more are popping up and I'm out of cups already. I transplanted 12 already. And will probably need to transplant another 12 before August is through.

Well it's a good thing I don't keep a bunch of houseplants or I'd be hanging from the ceiling looking for more space lol.

Question about my babies are they going to die back even though they are in the house this year?

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: