The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Growing Miniature Roses from Seed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Growing Lysimachia 'Beaujolais'| Next thread: Growing Old »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on July 05, 2006 05:06 AM
So my first questions is...Is anyone else trying this? I'd love to know I'm not alone on this adventure.

I planted mine on June 20th and am patiently (ok maybe not patiently) waiting to see my very first sprout. I didn't know to chill them first so I'm assuming I'm going to have to wait the entire 25 days to see a sprout. Or if they are like the peppers were this year 50 days to sprout lol.

My second question is...

I've got them sitting in my east facing window. Now I know that miniature roses will not grow inside for me at all. So should I be trying this outdoors rather than indoors. I'm I shooting myself in the foot from the get go?

-
 -
by kennyso on July 06, 2006 08:50 AM
Hi, I'm no expert but I had a rose phase that just passed recently (I got all interested in one type of plant and get obsessed over them, but these phases pass over time). Everything that I'm going to say is geared towards regular rosesw, but I doubt that's going to have much effect. Miniature roses are the same a s roses just on a smaller scale. I read while looking for info on starting rose seeds that they do not germinate if the temp is over 20*C, so depending on where you put them, it might be a bit too hot. Second, I also read that you cannot just plop them in a pot and expect them to grow. I cold stratified four seeds and sorta left them there and forgot about them. When I finally remembered them, only one had sprouted, I'd say my rate were really low with these seeds. Hope this helped, but if it didn't, oh well, I tried.

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by tkhooper on July 07, 2006 12:16 AM
Sounds like where I have them is way way to warm. Shucks. But thankyou for the information. I'll try again with some started in the refrigerator. Maybe that will work better. Right now I have columbine in the refrigerator so I have to wait until they are done before I can start anything else in there.

If anyone ever came over and looked in my refrigerator they would be really confused.

-
 -
by BeckyB on July 09, 2006 09:01 AM
I'm just a bit confused.
[dunno] (nothing new there)

quote:
cold stratified
What does that mean? How do you do that?

I was actually wondering the same thing 2 days ago!
Is it possible to germinate seeds from a cut rose? Like one that you get in bouquets?
If so, how?

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine
by kennyso on July 09, 2006 09:08 AM
Cold stratified basically means that you put the seeds through a cold peroid. Wet stratification means that you keep the seeds wet while they are cold. I don't get what you mean from a cut rose. Seeds form after the blosson dies and forms rose hips. The hips look like bulges found at the end of the branch where the blossom used to be. My best guess would be if you really like the flower, snip the flower off and try to root the stem. I read somewhere before that there is a type of rose that roots even with a flower on. All I know is that the flower drains a lot of evergy from the plant, and making hips is also an energy straining process for the plant.

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by tkhooper on July 09, 2006 11:52 PM
No you can't get seeds from a cut rose sorry. What you could do is use the pollen from the cut rose to fertilize one of your roses and then cover the flower until it died and created the hip and collect the seeds from there. It would be a hybred but who knows maybe it would be even prettier than the parent plant.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Growing Lysimachia 'Beaujolais'| Next thread: Growing Old »
Back to Thread index