The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Killer Fried Green Tomatoes!

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Killed my spider plant?| Next thread: Killing a Large Bush - How? »
Back to Thread index
by Winter Rosebudd on January 27, 2005 07:11 PM
I've been trying to perfect a recipe for years and tryed them using the Japanese Panko bread crumbs this year. Bingo! I felt like I'd won the lottery... [Big Grin] They come out fluffly light and crispy....these bead crumbs are a Godsend!

You'll need...

a few firm green tomatoes
1 cup of flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 tblsp. sugar
Vegetable oil for frying

Slice tomatoes 1/4" thick and soak them in salted ice water in the fridge, 2 hours. Take them out and drain, dry on paper towels.

Heat 1/2" vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet.

Get three bowls out. Put flour, salt and pepper in one. Put 2 beaten eggs and milk in the second one. Put Panko bread crumbs and sugar in the third one. Dip each slice in flour lightly, then egg wash, then coat generously with the crumbs. Fry in oil until golden and crisp.

Here is an online source for the crumbs, if you can't find them in your area. They are amazing!

Panko Bread Crumb
(just shortened your URL~W)

-
by 4Ruddy on January 27, 2005 09:05 PM
W.R., what is the difference in the Panko bread crumbs? I never buy bread crumbs I always make my own but would like to know (if you know) what the difference is. WE LOVE fried green maters!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Winter Rosebudd on January 27, 2005 10:50 PM
They're very strange. They look like instant mashed potato flakes. They're much lighter than regular crumbs. I wouldn't use them in place of regular ones very often though. They're great for shrimp and thin fillets of fish too. I would say for frying any vegetable, they'd be great!

-
by weezie13 on January 28, 2005 03:44 AM
I've never eaten Fried Green Tomatoes...
but I used to make'em for my parents,
but I guess with a twist cause I never knew better or what they tasted like, but......

I fried them in bacon grease...a little salt and pepper if you so choose. *I did just pepper*
and then sprinkled shaker cheese on the top and let it melt in the pan...
They always smelled reallllllllly tasty!!!

Give it a try and let me know!!
Of course I didn't always use green tomatoes, cause of all the red one's we had!!! [Wink] [Big Grin]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by catlover on January 28, 2005 03:53 AM
Winter do they have those bread crumbs at Albertson's/or a major store....or did you have to go to a specialty store. I use to live in Walnut/Diamond Bar/Rowland Heights area(I was on the corner of all three [Big Grin] )....so I didn't have to go far to find an Asian Store ...but now I live in Fallbrook.

I looooooove Fried Green Tomatoes...but learned my lesson not to eat toooooo many! [perplexed]
I just used the flour, egg wash, any bread crumbs or I would use crushed corn flakes. I will have to give your recipe a try this year. [thumb] Have you ever tried your recipe with eggplant or okra?
Catlover [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by 4Ruddy on January 28, 2005 06:32 AM
eewwwee...eggplant, that sounds good! I am going to look tomorrow to see if I can locate those crumbs in Texarkana.
Weezie...what in the world are you thinkin...not eating fried green tomatoes? how could you possibly cook them and not (at least)taste them...that is just not normal honey!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by catlover on January 28, 2005 05:12 PM
quote:
that is just not normal
Weezie normal! Ohhh, am I sooooo holding my tongue!!! [lala]

Catlover [grin] [devil]
P.S. I will edit this part out later....just had to give Weezie a hard time.

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on January 28, 2005 11:38 PM
quote:
Weezie normal! Ohhh, am I sooooo holding my tongue!!!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [kitty] [thumb]
I have never been normal!!!!
Ask my husband!!! [Wink] [grin]

quote:
Weezie...what in the world are you thinkin...not eating fried green tomatoes? how could you possibly cook them and not (at least)taste them...that is just not normal honey!

Believe it or not, I cook alot and don't eat 1/2 of it... *I am an almost total vegetarian..
I'm a pretty good cook too for not eatin' any of it....
And as for the tomatoes, I never really liked a cooked tomato.... I love'em raw.... I do make up salsa sauce but never cook it, it's always eaten uncooked or raw or fresh... not canned....
I have had one or two, here and there... but nothing I am over board for...
But I like cookin' them!!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Winter Rosebudd on January 29, 2005 01:38 AM
Ya know these crumbs would be amazing for eggplant. MMM!!! I'm gonna give that a go for sure!

I had a hard time finding these crumbs...they are strictly Japanese, so I eventually found them in little Tokyo in Downtown LA.

If you PM me your address, I'll send you a bag. I just picked up 4 bags last week.

They also make Honey Panko, which is slightly sweet. YUM!

-
by ksgardnr on May 19, 2006 05:40 AM
I LOVE fried green 'maters [perplexed] but never could get them to turn out right when I made them, so I will try your recipe if I can find the bread crumbs!!!Living in a podunk little town, it is hard to find what I need. Can I get them at Dillon's or Walmart?(The online source for Panko you typed above won't open for me) [Eek!] Those are my only 2 choices of a place to shop & that is 25 miles away [Frown]

-
 -

DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU!=O)
by ksgardnr on May 19, 2006 05:48 AM
[thinker] I just remembered we do have a few Asian stores in that town so maybe I can try there and see if they carry them or can get them

-
 -

DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU!=O)
by Tonya on May 19, 2006 04:10 PM
I love fried green tomatoes!! My grandmother used to make them all the time for me! She just washed the tomatoes, sliced them, floured them lightly, salt pepper and a pinch of sugar and fried them in veggie oil. YUM, YUM!! [muggs] [Cool] Mammaw was soooo cool!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by chenno on May 25, 2006 04:24 AM
Love fried green tomatoes...
Will check this out,I have never breaded them,just a little olive oil,some herbs and a bit of parmesan. mmmmmmm

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by afgreyparrot on August 06, 2006 05:02 AM
I just pulled this topic up because I have been on a fried green tomato binge for the last few weeks.

Winter Rosebudd's recipe for fried green tomatoes is the exact recipe I use to fry walleye! [shocked]

Am I the only one here that uses cornmeal instead of breadcrumbs on fried green tomatoes? [thumb]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by chenno on August 06, 2006 01:41 PM
[thumb] cornmeal....will try that one...

I really love them fried with eggs and cheese
or baked with tuna and cheese...mmmmmm

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by weezie13 on August 06, 2006 03:41 PM
I used to cook them for my parents..
*but I do not eat them*
I used to cook them in bacon grease
and sprinkle some shaker cheese on top.
and assorted salt, pepper, oregeno, etc.

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by SpringFever on August 07, 2006 11:12 AM
I am going to try this... Does it work with Hard red tomatoes?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Deborah L. on August 07, 2006 04:11 PM
Af, cornmeal is the only way I've ever even heard of till now !
Weez, I haven't eaten meat in years.
Right now I'm having a baked potato topped with creamed spinach.
To me that's a feast. [Smile]

-
 -
by BeckyB on September 23, 2006 06:21 AM
I'd like to know that too Rita.
What's the taste difference between green and hard red tomatos?
I've checked the grocery store and they don't sell green toms.
I'm going to check out the farmers market at some point, though.

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine
by joclyn on September 23, 2006 09:47 AM
i use italian bread crumbs and and egg bath and then another dip in the bread crumbs and then fry in olive oil...top with a touch of A1 sauce.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Killed my spider plant?| Next thread: Killing a Large Bush - How? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: