The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Venus FT

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Venus Flytraps| Next thread: verbena flowers - help! »
Back to Thread index
by Maine-ly Bees on June 08, 2006 06:08 AM
I have a year old VFT in a 2 inch pot, (original). It really hasn't grown any larger that when I bought it. What can I do to help it along. It looks very healthy, it went dormant this past winter, (my wife thought I killed it). If I repot it will it get larger? what size pot might I use. I thought about placing the pot inside a covered goldfish bowl, sort of an improptu terrarium.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!!!
David

David Wallace
Owner/Operator, Maine-ly Bees
Bowdoinham, Maine
by Stepheus on June 08, 2006 11:44 PM
size might be due to genetics but u can try to repot them...no harm doing it. however, it is better to repot the plant when it is dormant so it doesnt effect its current growth.

right after repoting the plant, if it is not dormant, the traps might grow smaller for a while before it establishes itself again and flourish. remember to use 1/2 perlite and 1/2 stagnum moss

just a thought [muggs]

stepheus!
by Maine-ly Bees on June 09, 2006 03:18 AM
Stepheus, thanks for the advice.

Simple solution.....I made a little pop bottle terrarium!! I think it was needing more humidity. I left it in the original pot, placed the pot in a small dish with pebbles and water, placed this on a tea saucer then cut the top off a two liter pop bottle and placed this, bottom end up, over the top of the dish. Three small holes in the bottle will aid in air exchange while keeping in the moisture. I'll let you all know how it works out.

David

David Wallace
Owner/Operator, Maine-ly Bees
Bowdoinham, Maine
by rubberbandman on June 10, 2006 04:59 AM
You might not even need the pop bottle. I live in an area with almost no humidity and my vft is doing fine just sitting in a tray with pebbles and water. About repoting, I heard that african violet mix works well.

-
people tell me I have the body of a god... too bad its buddah.
by TomR on June 17, 2006 03:59 AM
Is this plant outside? It needs full sun all day or at least for 5-6 hours a day. They don't do that well in a terrarium. Indoors OR outside. Distilled or rain water only.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by rubberbandman on July 16, 2006 04:32 PM
wait dont use african violet mix I just heard that it can kill the plant.

-
people tell me I have the body of a god... too bad its buddah.
by TomR on July 21, 2006 10:43 PM
Use 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite. NO POTTING SOILS!

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Venus Flytraps| Next thread: verbena flowers - help! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: