The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bromeliad Assorted

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: bromeliad| Next thread: Bromeliad flowers? »
Back to Thread index
by phil2 on June 02, 2006 07:06 AM
i bought one of these today and it was nearly dead
anyway i thought id try and save it as it still looks healthy and from £4.98 to 50p isnt a loss of much money if it dies

has anyone got any info on this plant?
by phil2 on June 02, 2006 07:28 AM
p.s also with VFT can i feed ants
by TomR on June 03, 2006 02:49 PM
For the brome just keep moist, not wet. Bright light no sun.

For the VFT do not feed! It should be OUTSIDE in full sun. If it isn't, GRADUALLY accustom it to full sun and keep it in about an inch of water in a tray.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by phil2 on June 04, 2006 04:07 AM
i do but we havnt had any rain in days so its not got any now
by BeckyB on June 15, 2006 11:12 AM
I'm still learning, but I did a little research on Bomeliads and they don't live very long, compared to other houseplants.

From the info I've found Bromeliads only live about 3 years, like humidity at about 50%. They can be propagated from offsets (that look like tiny versions of the plant). It is best to wait to remove the offsets till they are 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the parent because the feed of the dying parent.
When the offsets have been romoved plant them in a lightly moist potting mix.
I hope this helps.

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine
by phil2 on June 16, 2006 04:18 AM
thanks
by TomR on June 17, 2006 03:56 AM
Broms produce babies called "pups", they are the new plants. Usually AFTER blooming is done.

Phil,
Use DISTILLED water if you have no rain water. Do NOT use bottled water or so called "purified" water. It MUST be Distilled water. It'll say so on the jug.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by phil2 on June 19, 2006 04:38 AM
what about tap water
by TomR on June 25, 2006 03:09 AM
NO TAP WATER! There is too much stuff in tap water that WILL kill the plant.

Tom

by phil2 on June 26, 2006 07:29 AM
ok,its finished blooming the flowers look ded do they drop off.when will the pups arrive.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: bromeliad| Next thread: Bromeliad flowers? »
Back to Thread index