The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

venus fly trap

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Venus Fly Trap| Next thread: Venus Fly Trap »
Back to Thread index
by phil2 on May 21, 2006 03:19 AM
just bought one told to give it rain water and if it doesent eat a fly in a week or so and that feed it saw ham/chicken just cgecking this is all ok and right
anything else?
by rubberbandman on May 21, 2006 04:26 AM
Never feed it meat, the fat in the meat will kill the whole plant. And as for watering get a tray and fill it with pebbles or marbles and set the plant on top, then pour water into the tray until its just past the bottom of the pot. You can use rainwater or destilled water, even bottled water as long as it has little to no sodium. I hope that helps.

-
people tell me I have the body of a god... too bad its buddah.
by phil2 on May 21, 2006 04:51 AM
ooo i fed pressed / cooked chicken

in 1 of em what should i do
by rubberbandman on May 21, 2006 05:29 AM
just leave it be and don't feed it anymore chicken. Cooked chicken probably isn't as bad as raw chicken so your plant will probably be fine.

-
by phil2 on May 21, 2006 06:21 AM
ok i idnt know
just guess you dont listen to them at the garden centre ill put a saucer then a little bit of rainwarer in

that ok
by phil2 on May 21, 2006 08:32 AM
and how long they live
by rubberbandman on May 21, 2006 01:34 PM
Yes that will be fine. And for the last question I'm not sure, I've only had mine for a couple of months.

-
by TomR on May 22, 2006 01:12 AM
Don't feed it anything. Slowly get it used to full sun and keep it in a tray with about an inch of rain or distilled water in it at all times. No tap water unless you have well water. These plants need a dormant period in winter.

Go here for more info:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by phil2 on May 22, 2006 02:02 AM
thanks

ill do that and what about the plants that get the fly drunk sene some of them and would like them

do they eat the fly then
by phil2 on May 23, 2006 04:47 AM
also i just gave it water rainwater last night within half an hour half was gone and 2 hrs all was gone so should i give it more obviosly thirsty do u allways keep it in water
by TomR on May 29, 2006 01:49 PM
Always keep a VFT in about an inch of water except the winter dormant period. Then only moist soil.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by phil2 on May 30, 2006 07:56 AM
ok thanks

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Venus Fly Trap| Next thread: Venus Fly Trap »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: