The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Plants that can withstand cat abuse!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Plants that are pet safe| Next thread: Plants that eat spiders? »
Back to Thread index
by garden hoer on September 15, 2006 08:16 PM
I'm hoping someone can help in suggesting sturdy perenniels for a very large,raised bed that is shaded and also the playground of 15 cats. I've planted snapdragons, mums, hostas, ferns, impatiens, begonias, corabells - all destroyed by the cats.

This is for a customer who loves her cats but wants flowering plants, or small bushes in this bed, which is raised 2' off the ground and about 20' x 10'. HELP!
by buzylady on September 16, 2006 12:40 AM
Are they using the area as a litter box? Or are they frolicking in the plants? I have several cats outside. Sometimes I find some laying in the shade of plants. Smashing them in the process. I put chicken wire down around the plants and any where they were using. When you cut the wire to fit, bend the ends up so the cats won't like the prickly stuff to lay on. It works for the litter box problem, but I didn't have enough. They still found places. It is frustrating. I guess I like cats enough to put up with it. Some are right beside me when I'm weeding or planting. Anything that gets me to their height seems to be invitation for attention.
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by garden hoer on September 16, 2006 07:15 AM
Well,that's a good idea, and if it were my own flower beds, that's what I'd try. However, I'm landscaping and gardening for a client and these beds are pretty huge, and have to be weeded, mulched, fertilized, etc. regularly.
What I'm looking for are plants that are sturdy enough to withstand 15 or 16 cats running over them and using them as litter boxes and maybe bushes (dwarf) that flower in these shaded areas. I'm just about to give up. Thanks for your idea though. I might do that in the smaller areas.
by Shani on September 20, 2006 01:19 AM
You could try including something like Helleborous or other plants that give off an odour that the cats don't like

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Plants that are pet safe| Next thread: Plants that eat spiders? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: