The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Crimson Fan

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Crickets(?) in Shed| Next thread: Crimson King Maple? »
Back to Thread index
by patches1414 on August 18, 2006 06:44 AM
About 6 weeks ago, I planted a Mukdenia 'Crimson Fan' and it appears to be very healthy and doing well, except that it doesn't seem to be growing. It is the same size as when I planted it and I don't see any signs of new growth emerging. It is planted in a newly amended bed with good drainage and in partial shade. Actually, everything it requires is present and there is no indication that any of the plants in that bed suffered any ill effects from our extremely hot summer temperatures.

I was wondering if anyone has this plant or knows how fast it grows? I'm really not in a big hurry to have this become and awesome plant at this time of the year, but I would like to see some indication that it has adequately established itself before winter sets in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on August 18, 2006 08:44 AM
Patti, that's a beautiful plant which I had never heard of until I read your post and did a quick Google search. I bet you'll know it's OK when the leaves start turning this fall. As a member of the Saxifrage family, I wonder if they are considered a "cool season" plant?

See if any of the info at Terra Nova gives you more information. I bet it's going to be gorgeous when it turns red! [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 18, 2006 10:05 AM
Thanks for the site Rosie, but it didn't give me much more information that I received with the plant except it said growth rate was moderate.

quote:
I bet it's going to be gorgeous when it turns red!
I'm sure it would be gorgeous if it was a little bigger, but at the size it is now I really don't this it going to make an awesome show this fall!

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on August 18, 2006 10:50 AM
Hopefully it is just getting settled in for a big show next year. [Wink] Sometimes perennials take their own sweet time to do their "thang." lol!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 18, 2006 01:02 PM
Actually, Rosie, I know that but sometimes I get impatient and forget it. My friend's mother once told me that perennials sleep, creep, and then leap! The first year they sleep, the 2nd year they creep, and the third year they leap and they really do!!!

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 18, 2006 11:37 PM
The "sleep, creep, leap" theory works and it's too bad we don't have someone tell us that when we are beginning gardeners. lol!!! I can't tell you the number of plants I jerked out and tossed because I didn't know it took them time to settle in. If they didn't bloom or perform the first year, they were history. Duh!!! Of course, I didn't know the difference in an Annual and a Perennial or the old bugaboo, Biennial, either. [Big Grin] I'm a very impatient gardener...I want results NOW!!! [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 19, 2006 07:38 AM
quote:
The "sleep, creep, leap" theory works and it's too bad we don't have someone tell us that when we are beginning gardeners.

Fortunately, I was a "beginning" gardener, as far as perennials, when my friend's mother told me this and she supplied me with most of my plants for my first real perennial bed about 5 years ago. Before that most of my gardening was limited to shrubs, bushes, bulbs, and lots of annuals. Of course, there were a few of the "old" stand-bys (Irises, Shasta Daisies, etc.) that you just planted and forgot because they always performed well without any fuss.

-
 -
by merrillzone5 on September 29, 2006 09:35 AM
Like Rosie; Patti,I have never heard of "Crimson Fan". Wow what a beautiful plant. I want some of this under my pear tree. I too am an impatient gardener and want stunning results immediately also. I never heard of the "sleep,creep,leap" theory; but now looking back the last 7 years here I can relate. Again this is the most informative gardening site on the net! [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Crickets(?) in Shed| Next thread: Crimson King Maple? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: