The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HELP! Unknown weed control!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Mandy N. on July 04, 2006 07:33 PM
I am having issues in my courtyard. I have these weeds poping up everywhere, and I can't figure out what they are, and most importantly, how to CONTROL them!! [Mad]

This first one: I have a blue bell in front of the rock, and some other bushes in the back. The front dried up plant is a columbine. Everything else that looks like clover is a weed. It is popping up everywhere! (also- should I cut back the first bush and the columbine... is it dead, or just done for the season??)

PhotoBucket

And secondly: These little guys are more prevelant than the first. They even grow arms everywhich way!! I can't seem to contol these at all! [Razz]
Photobucket

I am posting here because it is my shade garden, and there isn't a 'weed control' section HA! Thanks so much for ANY suggestion.

Joining the quest for a weed free world!!
Mandy
by Mandy N. on July 04, 2006 07:35 PM
(just thought I would turn on the email notification... forgot to do that)
by Patty S on July 04, 2006 09:05 PM
Mandy, there isn't a special "weed control section" because weeds are something we all fight in EVERY section here! (Well, maybe not in the hobbies or recipies or critter corner forums!) [Big Grin]

It looks like your weeds are small enough to just scrape out with your hoe. (That's what I do when they're little, & after a while they get tired of being disturbed & don't have the energy left to come back again.)

Your Columbine is done for the year. If you want to save the seeds to plant next year, you'll want to check the pods to see if there are any seeds left in them. (They might have already spilled out onto the ground... & they'll be back next year with no effort on your part!)

In case you don't know, the seed pods look like this, & the seeds are tiny black specks, inside the chambers of the pod. (They almost look like Poppy seeds.)
 -
If you are able to harvest some seeds before throwing away the dried plant, remember that Columbine seeds need to be stratified before they'll germinate. After they are thoroughly dried, just put them in an envelope & stick them in your refrigerator until you're ready to plant next year. (They don't have to be cold treated for that long, but I leave them there all winter, so I know where to find them!) [nutz]

- By the way, next time you forget to check the e-mail notification box, you can always click on the "edit/delete post" icon in the row across the top of your post, & find the e-mail notification box in the "options" field. Be sure to click on the "edit post" button after you've checked it.

-
 -
by Mandy N. on July 05, 2006 07:49 AM
Thank you so much for the info! (especially the edit button!) I guess these weeds don't mind the raking and plucking, because they keep coming back bigger and stronger!! I'll just keep buggin them. Thanks again!
by porter57 on July 09, 2006 12:35 PM
first one kinda looks like plaintain
bad news is you got to pluck em out before they seed to get rid of em
by Tonya on July 14, 2006 03:14 AM
The second one looks like my portulaca that I found in my back yard...

-
 -

Does it bloom at all?

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Mandy N. on July 14, 2006 04:20 AM
no, no blooms, just the greens. If they bloomed I wouldn't mind as much. Those pics do look very similar. Thanks!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: