The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Boston Fern ?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Boston Fern| Next thread: Boston Fern problems »
Back to Thread index
by lakegran on May 20, 2006 04:42 AM
My indoor Boston fern has Just gotten too big It is lovely but takes up too much space now and I know that by summer's end It will be even bigger. I offered to separate it and give half to my cousin who would put it in a shade garden. She doesn't expect it to survive the winter, but do you see any problems? I always move mine to the deck for the summer where it does get some direct sun.

-
by flwrgrdnmom on May 20, 2006 11:59 AM
It won't live outside in the winter where it gets below about 50 degrees. She can bring it inside though as it starts to cool off.
by weezie13 on May 30, 2006 02:25 PM
Yep, I'd agree with Flwrgrdnmom..
That's a house plant really and wouldn't
survive freezin' temps...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Jiffymouse on May 31, 2006 11:00 AM
and it won't survive direct afternoon sun. it will burn.
by Merme on May 31, 2006 11:36 AM
Just remember where the ferns grow naturally... on the forest floor, under the canopy of trees where they recieve indirect light, and where it is moist and dewy.

The best you can ever do is establish a microclimate around the plant, which is most easily accomplished indoors for these delicate creatures.

My enormous Boston fern sits on a tray filled with stones and water to increase the humidity around it without turning the leaves brown by misting it. It only receives filtered light although it has a place of honor in a big double hung window facing East.

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Boston Fern| Next thread: Boston Fern problems »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: