The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Few Hostas for fun

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: few forsythia blossoms| Next thread: ficus »
Back to Thread index
by cinta on May 20, 2006 04:20 AM
I have been slowly collecting. I only buy them after I have researched and fell in love. Space is limited. I buy for Fragrance, color and shape. I do not want a lot that look alike.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Dixie Angel on May 20, 2006 04:44 AM
Those are pretty, Cinta! I love hostas.

I am thinking about planting some under my deck. My trees are too little to provide the shade they need...

Dianna

-
 -
by johnCT on May 20, 2006 05:00 AM
Great photos cinta! Thanks. Would you mind putting some names to those pics? I recognize a few of them, but others I don't.

John - Zone 6
by dfrench200 on May 20, 2006 06:40 AM
Thanks for sharing the photos!! Names would b helpful... I love 'June', fantastic!!

Doug
Northern VA
by cinta on May 20, 2006 07:04 AM
OK I will name them. I am sorry I should have posted those.

#1 - Lakeside Kalidescope
#2 - Sum and Substance
#3 - Sagae
#4 - Left to right June, Krossa Regal, Patriot
in front of them is undulata the old garden Hosta
#5 - Dark Hosta is Black Hills - Lt Green Royal Standard
#6 - in the back is Fried Banana and front Tokudama 'Aureonebulosa' Such a big name for such a slow grower it has been there for 4 yrs inching along. Pretty colors but not a fast grower

by Michael15r on May 22, 2006 01:09 PM
First time growing Hostas here. I have number five in yours and they look magnificent! I like how they look, now I know what to expect! They sure do look healthy!

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by patches1414 on May 22, 2006 04:37 PM
Hi cinta! [wavey]

I can remember many years ago when I had a couple of Hostas and I thought they were boring! [Frown] I think they were probably the same kind so they really were boring! [Big Grin] I've recently fell in love with Hostas [Love] and realize they are as different as night and day! [thumb] I just got two new ones today; Sun Power and Blue Mammoth. Apparently, the Blue Mammoth is going to be a monster hosta because it can get 3' tall and 5' wide with 4' flower stacks. [Eek!] It should be awesome! [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by cinta on May 26, 2006 02:22 PM
I know patches, I hated hostas. All I had was the green ones and the white and green ones. When I discovered the blues and yellows I started to really like them. Then when I realized there were fragrant blooming ones I really, really, started to love them. LOL!!

I have so much shade in my back they are the perfect plant for my situation. It took me many years to realize I was a garden failure because I had not selected plants that would survive my conditions.

by Christina68 on May 26, 2006 03:25 PM
I am also dealing with limited shade, but many Hostas can take some sun too, they are a welcomed edition to any garden..

Cinta, is that you Aud? hmmm WE do seem to run into each other.. I think it is you, as I was viewing your photos and I saw that monkey pot..

Christina
by patches1414 on May 26, 2006 04:45 PM
I never did like the large Hostas either, but now it looks like I'm forced to get some to deal with a problematic situation. I'm sure I'll learn to love those too! [Love]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by johnCT on May 27, 2006 12:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by patches1414:
I never did like the large Hostas either, but now it looks like I'm forced to get some to deal with a problematic situation. I'm sure I'll learn to love those too! [Love]
Patches, pick up the variety 'Sum and Substance' and you will change your tune real quick! [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by penny in ontario on May 27, 2006 07:45 AM
I am a first time grower of Hosta's, i never really liked them and now i have 6 planted in my front lower flower bed, your's look amazing!!!

-
 -

-
by patches1414 on May 27, 2006 08:35 AM
quote:
I never did like the large Hostas
John, my statement was not necessarily about my personal taste or the large Hostas, but rather a reflection of my particular situation. [Roll Eyes] I have a small yard and the space in my garden beds is very limited. [Frown] Naturally, to be attracted to big Hostas or any plant that was going to use a large portion of any of my beds was never appealing to me! [Frown]

A couple of years ago when a tornado went through here I lost a sizable portion of my large pine tree on the shaded side. [tears] Now I've made a path where the damaged branches had to be taken out and I'm planting Hostas, Ferns and some other shade plants along the path in that area. [Wink]

John, I DO have 'Sum and Substance' and I love it, [Love] so I will be putting it in that area also, along with 'Krossa Regal', and 'Big Mammouth'. [Wink]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: few forsythia blossoms| Next thread: ficus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: