The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Easy to move?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: easy surprise Easter cupcakes| Next thread: Easy to sprout flowers »
Back to Thread index
by gardeningmomma on May 15, 2006 01:57 PM
We plan on selling our house in the next year or two and was wondering what I can take with me. I assume I can take most of my bulbs (tulips, daffodils- if I put some in), hostas- I would leave most other things, even though it breaks my heart.
by dfrench200 on May 15, 2006 02:50 PM
Hostas are pretty tuff, shouldnt have any problem moving them... Bulbs should be ok too if the foliage has started to die down. If not transplant them to pots and let them grow on from there.

Doug
Northern VA
by patches1414 on May 15, 2006 06:28 PM
Hi gardeningmomma! [wavey]

You won't have any trouble moving the Hostas. I am always moving them and dividing them. [Wink] Your bulbs won't be a problem either. Actually, one of my neighbors moved last summer and she took most of her perennials that she had planted with her. [thumb] Of course, none of these were of any significant size so it didn't alter the landscaping around the house. [Smile]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by johnCT on May 16, 2006 02:22 AM
Hostas can be moved very easily.

John - Zone 6
by netty on May 16, 2006 01:42 PM
When I moved, I brought 30+ plants with me! Alot of Hosta's, Phlox, Bee Balm, Astilibe, Campanula and many other things and ALL my bulbs. I had all the perennials in pots and the bulbs were dug up and packed in a box (with the leaves intact)
Everything survived and is doing great in their new spots!

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on May 16, 2006 01:50 PM
Thanks guys! I know that leaving my garden behind will be tough, and I hope that we will find a place with flower beds or space for some.
Thank you [muggs]
by patches1414 on May 16, 2006 02:02 PM
It's so hard to leave the flowers you've planted and cared for, [tears] so I hope you consider taking some of your favorites with you. [Wink]

quote:
I hope that we will find a place with flower beds or space for some.
Don't forget there's always containers! [Wink] [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by joclyn on May 16, 2006 05:14 PM
i don't see why you couldn't take most of what you've planted.

bulbs, tubers and rhyzomes are easy. so are anything that provides seeds.

when it comes to plants themselves, if it's too big to move, then at least take some cuttings or do some layering so that you can take a piece or two with you!

things like clematis, hosta, ferns, daisy and such can easily be potted for moving.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: easy surprise Easter cupcakes| Next thread: Easy to sprout flowers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: