The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hostas - Help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: hostas & hydrangeas| Next thread: Hostas from seed? »
Back to Thread index
by Rosepetal on May 14, 2006 11:42 AM
I bought a hosta and it has 3 parts growing up from the base. Is this an indication of 3 bulbs? [dunno]

Can I separate these and have 3 plants or should I leave them together? [thinker]

They are at least 1 foot tall already.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by loz on May 14, 2006 02:37 PM
Usually they are just the shoots that come up to form the leaves......I'd leave it for now! [thumb]
by Rosepetal on May 14, 2006 04:49 PM
Thanks loz [muggs]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by slredmond on May 15, 2006 01:08 AM
I'd let it grow up this year and it will get even more size on it. Next spring after it starts coming up you could divide if you want more plants. Want kind do you have?

Sandy R.
by dodge on May 15, 2006 12:51 PM
Hosta multiply like flys......

Hide and watch.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by patches1414 on May 15, 2006 09:28 PM
I'd let it get a good start this year and then divide it next year. It won't be long until you're giving them away. [Big Grin] It's really a unique plant and I love them. [Love]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by johnCT on May 16, 2006 02:14 AM
You could divide it if you like, but you'll have three smaller plants. They will do fine if you do. Hostas can really take a great deal of neglect and do fine. Also, they aren't bulbs. You will be physically cutting the root ball into three sections.

What variety did you buy?

John - Zone 6
by Rosepetal on May 16, 2006 10:42 AM
It just says on the pot Hosta "dark star". Not even sure if it's the right name. It also says will bloom purple / white flowers.

I want to plant this one in the shade is that alright? Or is this one that needs some sunlight?

I'm planning on getting another one so I can do both, one for part shade and one for complete shade.

-
 -
by patches1414 on May 16, 2006 11:40 AM
I have the Hosta "Dark Star" and mine says that it will grow in part sun to full shade. [Smile] However, mine also says it has lavender blooms, but it doesn't say anything about white blooms. [dunno]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Rosepetal on May 17, 2006 03:36 AM
I planted this one in the shade so we'll see what it does.

Yes mine did say purple / white flowers. Will be interesting to see what it will be. [flower]

Should I expect flowers this year yet? [dunno]

-
 -
by patches1414 on May 17, 2006 04:09 AM
Hosta usually bloom in July or August. I think all my Hostas have bloomed the first year I've put them in. [Wink]

-
 -
by johnCT on May 17, 2006 04:21 AM
All hostas take full shade just fine and most will also survive in full sun. Hostas are one of the most resilient plants you can buy. It should bloom this year for you. here's a link to the hosta library where you can find some pictures of 'Dark Star'. Good luck.

http://www.hostalibrary.org/d/d.html

John - Zone 6
by Rosepetal on May 17, 2006 05:49 AM
Hey John

Thanks for the link.
Lokking forward to seeing my plant grow and lokk like the photos there. I'd say it looks most like the third picture on the link page.

-
 -
by johnCT on May 18, 2006 07:16 AM
Very nice looking hosta. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

John - Zone 6
by joclyn on May 18, 2006 09:12 AM
wow! great link, john!!whoda thunk there were SO many different hosta!!
by gomerp618 on May 18, 2006 02:20 PM
I bought a baby hosta last year at the end of the season. It was marked down to 75 cents.. the pot had weeds and moss growing in it. I brought it home and stuck it down in my basement. I brought it up a few weeks ago and it has 2 plants growing out of it.

I put one in the gruond last year and my dog spent the entire summer urinating on it. I thought sure I'd never see that hosta again.. I just noticed 5 stalks popping up last week from that spot.

I love hostas!! Kind of an obsession of mine I guess you could say. I just ordered what is called a lemon lime one, it's gorgeous.

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by patches1414 on May 18, 2006 08:02 PM
Hi gomerp618! [wavey]

Well, I've found that it's really hard to kill a Hosta! [Wink] I really love them! There are so many different varieties and each is unique in it's own way. [thumb] Are you going to post a picture of it?

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 19, 2006 12:33 AM
I have three different kinds in my shade garden and they are doing ok. I can never get them to grow big though so I have some more studing to do about them. I do like the different textures and designs they have on them though.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on May 19, 2006 01:24 AM
Don't ya just have to love hostas!!!
We had a few miserable ones that were planted in full all day sun by the previous house owners here. I moved them the first summer we lived here (12 years ago) so they get mostly morning sun and then shade the rest of the day. They have rewarded me by growing leaps and bounds. Last year I was able to give my dad enough starts to fill the entire border of his backyard - you should see them this year - gorgeous!

Here are a few of mine just a few minutes ago:

-

-

-

The only problem I have with them, is that the deer love them as much as I do. The only solution I have found so far, is to sprinkle Milorganite around the plants several times during the growing season - it really stinks, so the deer stay away. Plus, it's a fertilizer, so the hostas benefit from that as well. [thumb]

As Patti has asked, do you have any pictures gomer?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by gomerp618 on May 19, 2006 02:11 AM
I don't have the plant yet. I won it on auction on eBay this past weekend and I'm still waiting for it, but will get some pictures when I get it.

Will they grow nice in containers? I'm moving sometime in the next few months so I'm not putting anything in the ground here.

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by patches1414 on May 19, 2006 07:15 AM
Oh Lynne, I love Hostas and those are absolutely beautiful! I don't have to worry about deer, just the slugs; but even that's been better since I've been putting crushed egg shells around them. Here are a few of mine from last year that I have in my shade garden. Unfortunately, I can't take any pictures of anything this year because my camera won't download pictures to my computer. [Mad]

-

-
 -
by Rosepetal on May 19, 2006 04:47 PM
Just wanted to show you the hosta I bought the other day, called "dark star"

-

I'm wondering if it's the same one as yours Lynn?

I love your hostas they are sooooo pretty. [flower]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: hostas & hydrangeas| Next thread: Hostas from seed? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: