The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

vines for shade?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: vines| Next thread: vines in pots »
Back to Thread index
by lilitu on May 03, 2006 01:08 PM
hey all looking for flowering vines that will like the shade....preferably hardy ...and preferably white...and not vigorous.....
i've been told there's no such thing but i refuse to give up!! it's for 2 columns that are on my front porch.
and i hate to say it but i'm sick of clematis- already have 2 and every other person in the neighborhood has one climbing up the mailbox.
(could i be any more picky!)
if you have any suggestions give me a holler!!
by SpringFever on May 03, 2006 03:05 PM
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/vines.html
I hope this will help you out !!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by flwrgrdnmom on May 09, 2006 10:55 AM
Try the climbing hydrangea. There are white and pink varities. Mine is in about half-shade and it does well. It's not too vigorous, at least not yet, and I've had it about 3 years.
If you don't have to have flowers, then virginia creeper (it turns red/orange in cooler weather) and many types of ivy (all types of greens, golds, and whites)are nice.
You may not like the common clematises, but there are many that are very different and beautiful. I get alot of mine off the auction sites on the internet.
Hope this helps! If I think of any more I'll post again.
by joclyn on May 09, 2006 12:43 PM
check out all the different varieties of clematis . there are TONS of them...

and there are some good suggestions in this thread
by tkhooper on May 10, 2006 11:09 PM
Here are some possiblities

Aconitum alboviolaceum
Decumaria barbara 'Vickie'
Schizophragma hydrangeoides 'Moonlight'
Schizophragma integrifolium var. fauriei

maybe not a great variety but a few to choose from.

-
 -
by Bamboo on June 18, 2006 11:33 AM
How about Russian Vine? I just got one myself, they thrive in any condition, produce profusions of pale flowers and will quickly cover a wall/column/side of a building.

Hope that helps.

Bamboo
by markr on June 18, 2006 01:23 PM
bamboo
good luck with the russian vine, dont forget the neighbours garden as well [lala]

-
Mark
by lilitu on July 01, 2006 02:48 AM
thanks everyone for your help!!
so much more to choose from than i thought!
btw- i have nothing AGAINST clematis, (there are 2 in my back yard) i just wanted something a little different from other yards in the neighborhood [Smile]
thanks again!
by fairierose on July 16, 2006 09:54 AM
Hi lilitu - I have about 20 clematis - ran out of room for planting on the ground so I have started putting trellis up and put a variety of clematis on each so I have blooms all season long. BTW I refuse to put one on my mail box but I do have sweet autumn one on a telephone pole that I had to staple some of the plastic fence on and a another that has totally covered the guy wires that hold the telephone pole - it has grown about 15 feet up and has bloomed non stop all summer! My major problem is I can never just have 2 of anything once I get going!!

P.S. I would try the climbing hydrangea - it is slow growing, but very beautiful.

Most important, you can always change it and try something else [grin]
by gardenfairy on July 18, 2006 03:34 PM
My Confederate Jasmine does well in the shade

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: vines| Next thread: vines in pots »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: