The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Window box flowers in shade???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: window box| Next thread: Window Boxes! »
Back to Thread index
by Tipster_Chad on May 02, 2006 12:57 PM
My new bedroom is going to be in the basement, and my only window faces out underneath the front porch where the "junk" is stored. There's hardly any sun that reaches this place, and I really need some ideas. I'm thinking of a window box because the soil isn't very good there. And it's a bit higher up. Suggestions??? THANKS!!!

-Sarah ZONE 5

"But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully"
2nd Corinthians 9:6
by SpringFever on May 04, 2006 02:42 PM
Sarah are you saying not only is the soil bad but it gets not much sun...Hmm that is tough ..
maybe chamelion Sp plant , fern good for shade, ...are you planting in a box or under the stairs?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Tipster_Chad on May 04, 2006 05:17 PM
I was thinking in a box under the stairs. So it would at least have good soil. And the box would lift it up to the window's height.

-Sarah ZONE 5

"But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully"
by SpringFever on May 05, 2006 02:27 AM
Are they open stairs so you get some sun??

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 05, 2006 02:30 AM
This is a list I found .. annuals and perrenials that grow in partal shade

-
 -
by Tipster_Chad on May 05, 2006 04:57 AM
Well... Yes they would be under open stairs, but No they wouldn't get any sun. It's because the porch pushes the stairs just far enough away that the sun doesn't quite reach the wall... I was hoping for some kind of flower, but a nice big green plant would be just as good. (I just want to block my view of the "junk")

I'll go check out that link you posted! Thanks for your help!!!

-Sarah ZONE 5

by SpringFever on May 05, 2006 06:33 AM
Sorry sarah that is the best I could come up with ..Tough area !!

-
 -
by Tipster_Chad on May 05, 2006 07:43 AM
yeah... I know. Oh well... I'll find something. THANKS AGAIN!!!

-Sarah ZONE 5

by RugbyHukr on May 05, 2006 09:44 AM
ferns, bleeding hearts, forget-me-nots, bluebells

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Pianolady on May 05, 2006 04:26 PM
begonias?

-
by Tipster_Chad on May 07, 2006 09:31 AM
[Love] [angel] THANKS y'all!!!

-Sarah ZONE 5

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: window box| Next thread: Window Boxes! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: