The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Shade Garden Pictures 2

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Shade garden in West TX| Next thread: Shade Landscaping »
Back to Thread index
by Bestofour on April 18, 2006 09:33 AM
by Bestofour on April 18, 2006 09:34 AM
by SpringFever on April 18, 2006 11:09 PM
Very nice bestofour pretty hosta.. What else do you have in there?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Jiffymouse on April 19, 2006 12:39 AM
so pretty, it could make me like hostas!
by penny in ontario on April 19, 2006 01:06 AM
looks good Sheri, i am really thinkning of putting Hosta's in my back flower box, they look like they really multiply though, looks great~! [thumb] [flower] [flower]

-
 -

-
by Triss on April 19, 2006 07:49 AM
Those hostas are so pretty! I am going to have to put some in my back section. I have seen them in full sun, do they also do well in COMPLETE shade? Also, how well do they grow from seed?

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Bestofour on April 19, 2006 09:24 AM
I don't think hosta will do well in full sun and I've never grown them from seeds. I dug all those up from my daughters house. In the middle section (1st pic)I've got Little Richard Obelia, Lorepedlum. two butterfly bushes. And in the section by the house I've got nandina and some shrub I have no idea what it is but has flowers that smell good and caladiums that aren't up yet. Oh yeah, a little monkey grass thrown in. That middle section will get messed up when the road construction starts.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by SpringFever on April 19, 2006 08:09 PM
very nice !!! [thumb] [flower]

-
 -
by cinta on April 23, 2006 06:35 AM
That is so pretty. Shade gardens are so beautiful and peaceful. People sometime concentrate on so many flowers they forget that building a garden of different shades of color and plant form is what makes a garden beautiful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Jiffymouse on April 23, 2006 09:02 AM
hostas, depending on the type, can be grown in full sun, but most types prefer shade.
by suzydaze on April 23, 2006 02:51 PM
I set out some hosta this year for my shadey spot, also added some lilly of the valley and calidiums

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by SpringFever on April 23, 2006 03:19 PM
Sounds nice.. watch out for the lily of the valley in a few years .. remove it from unwanted areas as it spreads..

-
 -
by Michael15r on April 23, 2006 05:59 PM
So that's how hostas look...

I have some in pots right now. The shoots are barely coming out. I'm thinking of planting them in the ground now, but I'll wait and see.

I really like how the lay-out of your hostas in place!
Wonderful idea! something that should be done in anyones homes!

Oh! I have to say! Wonderful background!

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by SpringFever on April 24, 2006 01:19 AM
Michael what happened to your flower?? its gone!

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 24, 2006 01:20 AM
Its back!

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 24, 2006 01:21 AM
Its back! [wavey]

-
 -
by Michael15r on May 02, 2006 02:59 PM
What flower? I didn't post any flowers in here. I was talking about bestofours hosta...neatly in place...

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by Rosepetal on May 08, 2006 09:18 AM
Bestofour
Do you know the names of your hostas, there are so many different kinds.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by patches1414 on May 11, 2006 09:05 PM
Beautiful pictures and I love your Hostas. [Love] I have a lot different varieties in my shade garden. [Wink] I used to think they were dull, but have learned to love them. [Love] They look so nice with the ferns and Astilbe. [Smile]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by angelblossom on May 13, 2006 12:57 PM
The reason I found this site was to inquire what plants to use to fill these long narrow beds leading to my front door. The grey tile is my sidewalk and the long beds are on both sides. They are under the roof overhang and only get full shade. I've had so many suggestions from new found friends here and learn to make my own compost after which I got to planning and planting!! this is a result of all your help I have equal planting on both sides and things are looking Up [thumb] (when I moved in here these beds were FULL of white rock DEEP, Un- real how someone before us just used them for a rock fill [Frown]
there are more plants still coming up the ferns are coming along seems like it took them forever to break the ground I was sooo happy to see those curled ends peek out!!

So Any way thanks to Everyone that helped me get this going,, all the words of encouragement, and plant suggestions are proven in the pictures,
Thanks again for all your help [kissies]
 -
 -
 -

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by SpringFever on May 13, 2006 02:27 PM
This area looks like it gets enough light to plant almost anything to me .. Bleeding hearts, you already have some caladium and hosta.. fern,
you could put lily of the vally...
columbine, some Oriental lilies..

are those snapdragons in the back there?? I can't tell what the flowers are...

-
 -
by angelblossom on May 13, 2006 02:59 PM
I do have lillie of the valley but they are coming up weakly I also have bleeding hearts at the other end but they're turning yellow and the leaves edges are burning as at the other end they recieve more sun so I'm moving the bleeding hearts to the back yard so it gets all shade from trees.( Not to mention the fact I recently found out bleeding hearts can get very large and these are not the drawf BH'S, and could get too big for this area ) The pink and white snapdragons seems to love it here they have really grown alot ,But No not enough light to grow anything. The closer to the door the less light comes down thru the opening. on the 1st pic the greenery at the top of the pic is the bleeding heart right beyond the snapdragon the sun stops there doesn't even shine on the sidewalk beyond that point , so I'm happy with what I have so far I would like a flower the blooms all spring and summer closer to the door tho However I think the hostas, ferns and caladiums wil look good once it all grows in and becomes full .I believe the color of the wall and sidewalk help with the light reflection.. good thing my house color isn't dark [Wink]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Shade garden in West TX| Next thread: Shade Landscaping »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: