The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need idea's for planting colorful flowers in mostly shade

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 2
by tj on April 02, 2006 05:23 AM
Hi all!
I'm pretty much an amature when it comes to gardening so bear with me
We just got new sod put in our front yard and there along the deck, is shaded except for about 2 hours in the mornings.(hope my picture works!) I had the guy just put down bark so I can plant some flowers. It will be watered plenty. I'd kind of like to keep the flower plants short (up to about 1 foot)...I want the kind that comes back every year (thats called perennials right?) I was wondering if you might give me some ideas for a lot of color? we live in southern Oregon, so not sure what zone we are? also, that hill there with bark along the driveway, is just the opposite (hard to keep watered!) and I wont worry about that part until after I get the shady part done there by the deck. [Wink]

-

<p>
 -
by netty on April 02, 2006 08:17 AM
Hi TJ [wavey]
I think that spot would look nice with Hosta's and Impatiens. I also like Astilbe, Columbine, Bleeding Hearts and Browallia for shade. Looks good...wish my grass was green! I just got rid of the last of the snow!

-
 -
by tj on April 02, 2006 08:43 AM
Thank you Netty & Bill!
Netty, are the flowers that you mentioned the kind that come back every year?
by netty on April 02, 2006 08:47 AM
Impatiens and Browallia are annuals but flower all season for a good splash of color. The others all come back every year but flower for shorter periods.

-
 -
by tj on April 02, 2006 09:01 AM
Thank you so much! I have them written down and will get some this week. I Cant wait [Wink]

Here's a pic of a small section of the flowers that I just planted along the other side of the driveway up in the railroad-tie planters. We are going to get the driveways paved sometime this spring also, and that will really perk up the looks. [Smile]
 -
by weezie13 on April 02, 2006 11:35 AM
I LOVE THAT BED!! [Cool] [flower] [Cool] [clappy]
Very nice job!!! [thumb]

One looks like a primrose, that'll come back every year, if it's happy..

One looks like Bellis English Daisys'...
those can be tempermental/biennial type..
but will reseed for you..
*they like a poorer type soil*

And lot's of pansy's... that kind of plant is on
my top ten flowers.. they are so delicate....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by patches1414 on April 02, 2006 02:57 PM
TJ, I like your landscaping and your flower bed. Good job! [thumb] I have hostas, ferns, Coral Bells, Lily of the valley, Bleeding Heart, and Astilbe in my shade garden. I know the hostas and fern don't add much color, but I learned to love
[Love] shades of green, white, ivory and yellow. I've tried Helleborus too, but didn't have any luck with mine. [tears]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by tkhooper on April 02, 2006 08:10 PM
there is a japanese painted fern that might like that area.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 02, 2006 10:20 PM
what a great area..creeping phlox does pretty good for a border. Everyone beat me to the great ones [Big Grin]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by tj on April 02, 2006 11:40 PM
[wavey] Thank you! when I get the new plants in I will get a picture of it. Should be this week sometime.

Weezie, I looked at all your pictures, they are awesome! Thay made my spring fever kick into 100%!
by tj on April 12, 2006 05:15 AM
YAYYYYYYYY! I got all my plants and going out to get them in the ground today. (even though it's sorta sprinkling hehe)..pictures to follow!!!!! [flower] [Wink]
by tj on April 12, 2006 07:26 AM
welp, it realy started pooring and I still have two 6" pots to plant then four 4" ones tomorrow 'then' I'll get a picture. It's looking sooo good!! [thumb] ........although, guess what I did? I thought the azalia would be pretty to, so I planted it "then" I read that it can get 5' tall [perplexed] oh well, I'll trim it back I guess, lol.
by weezie13 on April 12, 2006 08:46 AM
TJ, Did you tell us what plants you got so far???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tj on April 12, 2006 09:16 AM
here's a picture of the cards that came with them to show the colors.
 -

here's a pic I took before it started pooring...
 -

I have more that I bought to put in that section, but I'm thinking that might be enough for there, what do you think??
[dunno]
I really love the look of the columbine so I got 3. That smaller looking one is the hosta, about 5 or 6 of them in the pot.
by weezie13 on April 12, 2006 09:26 AM
quote:
I have more that I bought to put in that section, but I'm thinking that might be enough for there, what do you think??

FYI,
Here's a picture of my Dicentra/Bleeding Heart..
 -
Take your arms/hands, and stretch them out about
say, 5ft/6ft... that's how wide mine is..
**Mind you I haven't done anything with it, like divide it or anything since I planted it..
But those puppies can get BIG**

I [Cool] LOVE, [Love] LOVE, [Cool] LOVE Columbines, **they remind me of my granny..**
They will reseed prolifically for you...
(as long as you don't put down stuff like "PREENE"
Here's a picture of my Grannies Double Purple one's in my album... [flower]
 -

I don't have a picture of my hosta's, but you can
stretch your arms out 5ft also for that measurements for that plant...

You've got some good sized plants in a small area..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by SpringFever on April 12, 2006 08:29 PM
Wow Now those are Big [Big Grin] can't wait till mine are as big as those weezie!! [clappy] must be all that compost!!!

-
 -
by tj on April 13, 2006 08:55 AM
[Big Grin] sheesh!!!!! Oh well, I'll just let them grow. If it comes over the porch or the lawn too much I suppose I can clip them back. [dunno]

The guy just came to do the paving bid on our driveways, and I was hoping to find out today what the $$$ would be, but he said he would mail it and it will be here within a week [devil]
my hubby works for the company (diff part, but anywho)he said we would get them done for 'cost' so I don't know? I hope hope hope hope it's within my budget!! those driveways have been a thorn in my tush for 13 years.

[wavey]
by weezie13 on April 13, 2006 09:00 AM
Compost is about the only thing they get
now adays...
I think I watered that bed twice last year..
*(that's the "Back 40 Bed")*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tj on April 13, 2006 09:07 AM
They are beautiful, they look like you tend to them everyday! ......hmmmm, maybe I should get into making some compost [thinker]
by weezie13 on April 13, 2006 09:19 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Tend to them every day..
I am lucky to pass by that side in the back...
about 3 or 4 times A SUMMER...

I'm in the middle, doing the veggie garden and
in the greenhouse and composting...
then its 15 different ways now adays..

The columbines are just neglected...
I let them go..
They reseed and reseed..
*They were my Grannies..*

I had some light pink one's from here, and I felt sooo bad.. that when I went to get them (on her old property) they were gone/lost...

And a great little suprise, where I live here now, *well, I should back up, I like to let things grow, especially weeds, and I reconized some assorted columbines, but my husband kept weed wackin' them off, so I never knew what color they were... [Mad] [Frown]
so I fired his butt from that chore... the first year I got a flower, THEY WERE BABY PALE PINK [flower] [grin] !!

Long story, but they take care of themselves..
*I grow alot of plants that HAVE to be that way*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on April 13, 2006 09:22 AM
Here's the pink ones'..
 -

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on April 13, 2006 09:27 AM
Heres' some more in the Back 40 Bed
in the shade...*(full sun from 11:00am to 3:00pm)
 -
 -
 -

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tj on April 13, 2006 09:48 AM
I'm so jealous!!!!!!! I love your stuff!! [flower]
here's a picture of one of my favorites, but whats it called? lol!!!!!! I threw the plastic thingy's away
 -
by weezie13 on April 13, 2006 09:54 AM
English Daisy (Bellis Perennis)

They are veryyyyyyy pretty...
*they are a perennial, but can be short lived..
just so you know... but they do reseed...*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on April 13, 2006 12:06 PM
Oh Weezie, I love [Love] your pink columbine, but I love pink flowers anyway! I use a lot of pink flowers in my raised bed. [Wink] [Wink]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by weezie13 on April 13, 2006 08:00 PM
They are very precious to me,
with being the color I lost,
and then having the hub weed wack them
so many times, I am grateful I have any...
*I don't have alot, they aren't as prolific
as the dark purple for some reason.*

I got some more columbines from Tina/Jonni13,
and Bill's "Cedar Hill" one's too, so I am very excited to see them grow..
Columbines' are on my top 10 list of fav's and can really be grown in full sun and shade and everything inbetween for me...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by flwrgrdnmom on April 13, 2006 10:40 PM
love it... just wait until you see how big the hosta gets... you'll probably be able to divide it up and spread it around elsewhere before too long. [thumb]
by patches1414 on April 14, 2006 12:05 AM
Hey Weezie, I just recently got introduced to Columbine when my new neighbor planted some she had brought from her mother's house in Wisconsin. I was really impressed with them, so when her mom came to visit last year, she brought me some. [thumb] I can't wait to see how they do this year. [Wink]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 14, 2006 12:10 AM
I got some from Bill to I was so excited cant wait till next spring to see what the color is!
Does any one have a problem with hosta getting ants? I have stayed away because, anytime I see one they have ants all over...

-
 -
by porter57 on April 15, 2006 03:35 AM
hey patches
i know you dont get over to bayers anymore but i just got back from there . they had colombines
for sale there. also sappington farmers market on watson has them.
by patches1414 on April 15, 2006 10:52 AM
Thanks porter! [muggs] It's not that I don't ever go there, it's just not as often as I used to go. [Frown] Geesh, in the spring I would be there almost every week-end and spend a fortune. [Frown] How much are the Colombines! [dunno]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by porter57 on April 16, 2006 12:38 AM
to tell ya the truth i didnt price em.
i have a few going and really didnt need anything.
i just went there to see what they had.
by patches1414 on April 16, 2006 06:16 AM
That okay Porter, at least, you told me they were on sale. [thumb] I can always call to get the price. [Smile]

Thanks again, [muggs]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by Bestofour on April 16, 2006 09:22 PM
The area by your driveway would be a good place for a daphne a dora. You'll have to wait until fall to plant it. It blooms in February and smells wonderful. They like the shade but need good drainage.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by slredmond on April 17, 2006 09:56 PM
Columbines are really easy to grow from seed - even I could do it!! [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

Sandy R.
by patches1414 on April 18, 2006 07:51 AM
Thanks Sandy! [thumb]

I've never tried growing them from seeds. Can you choose the color seeds you want or do they come in assorted colors in a package? [dunno] Also, do you start your seeds indoors or plant them in the ground? [dunno]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by Wheeler on April 18, 2006 07:52 AM
Try Astilbe. They grow like mad in the shade. Cottage Farms Direct is where I got mine. The web address is CottageFarmsDirect.com. I put mine in containers because I live in an apartment and they are growing like crazy. they do not show color until summer time, but the foliage is big and bushy. They come in many amazing colors. I highly recommend them.
by slredmond on April 18, 2006 06:26 PM
Yes - different colors and varieties. For example "McKana's Giant," "Nellie Barlow," etc. Some come in purple, some white, blue, some doubles. A lot of the seed packs you get in the store are mixed colors. I have great luck buying seeds on eBay, if you're so inclined.

Sandy R.
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 08:18 PM
Just got a shrub from ebay and it looked great!! I was shocked how well it looked...
You can also buy assorted lily's..

-
 -
by Wrennie on April 30, 2006 01:46 AM
I have astilbe, bleeding hearts and columbine in my shade garden.
This Old House magazine, May issue, has aan article on shade plants.
They also suggest:
for light shade:
coral bells,heuchera
impatiens
indian pink,spigelia marilandica
leadwort
snowdrop, anemone nemorosa
spider lily, lycoris albiflora
spotted geranium
tuberous begonia
and a bunch of groundcovers and foliage plants.
for full shade:
foamflower
bugleweed
dwarf crested iris
periwinkle
great blue lobelia
hosta
johnny jump up
helebore
spotted dead nettle
st johnswort
woodland phlox

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by SpringFever on April 30, 2006 01:51 AM
Great list wrennie.. I think I got about 4 of those but still need more thanks for the help!

-
 -
by joclyn on April 30, 2006 03:24 PM
oh! that purple columbine is absolutely divine!!!!

tj, there are more than a few ferns that are good for shady areas!! and most of them will spread out fairly well, too.

i've got cinnamon fern - it's funky! has a 'bud' that looks like a cinnamon stick!
by Wrennie on May 01, 2006 01:15 AM
Ferns are great in the shade too. I have some of them, not sure what kinds.
I didnt list them 'cause the orig. question was for flowers, and I was getting typers cramp. LOL!

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by SpringFever on May 01, 2006 03:14 AM
Thanks Joclin...If you are talking to me... I think I have to get the seeds this year I heard they only last for 4 years so This is the year!! they are big too I have never seen such big columbine..
I love ferns in my yard Wrennie they add a great touch!!

-
 -
by patches1414 on May 01, 2006 06:05 PM
quote:
I've got cinnamon fern - it's funky! has a 'bud' that looks like a cinnamon stick!
Joclyn, I have one too and it's neat. [Wink] I didn't know [dunno] it was going to do that so I was surprised. [shocked]

-
 -
by joclyn on May 02, 2006 04:35 AM
i DID know it had that feature...that's why i got it!! i really like things that are different/surprising!!
by patches1414 on May 02, 2006 10:35 PM
Well, this was just an added bonus for me. [Wink] I only got them because I really needed some ferns for my shade garden. [thumb] I love it when I get something extra for my money. [Smile]

-
 -
by tj on July 23, 2006 02:33 PM
OK so here's the deal! Guess what? we got our driveways Concreted! At first, when we got the bid on the asphault, it was too high for my budget. I cried (I really did, lol) and hubby got us a home equity loan so we were able to get them done. I'm sooooooo glad we got CONCRETE instead of asphault! We are now putting the yard back together and I have 'before' pictures. when we are all done I will give you guys some before and after shots. They should be pretty good so stay tuned [clappy]
by weezie13 on July 23, 2006 02:35 PM
We love before and afters!!! [clappy] [Cool] [grin] [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: