The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Plant it where you want it and see what happens

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Plant identification help| Next thread: Plant Lights »
Back to Thread index
by Bestofour on March 12, 2006 10:35 AM
2 years ago I dug up a root of a beautiful blooming plant that my daughter has. She has it planted it partial sun. You know how it is when everyone calls a plant by a different name? That's how this has been. Today I saw it at a Farmers Market in Florence, SC, and it's Quince Cameo. When I looked it up it said to plant it in full sun. I have it planted in full shade. It's blooming and looks healthy. Go figure.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by patches1414 on March 12, 2006 12:23 PM
Hey, if it's blooming and looks healthy I would leave it alone. [thumb] Why mess with a good thing! [Smile]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by angelblossom on March 12, 2006 12:24 PM
I know what you mean! If it says full sun I make sure it gets some shade at least in mid afternoon simply because in late spring and summer Tx sun is blistering, and I learned my lesson the first 2 years here! [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by tamara on March 13, 2006 08:24 PM
Sheri, I face North east and have planted everything you can imagine in the shade. They grow- just not as well as it would in the 'right' conditions. The only thing that doesn't seem to like the shade so far is my variegated dogwood. Gonna move that one in the spring.

Good luck and have fun 'experimenting'.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Longy on March 25, 2006 02:12 AM
You know how it is when everyone calls a plant by a different name? That's how this has been.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
That's the problem with common names i'm afraid. If you can learn the botanical name of the plant and post it here, there can be no mistaking what plant you're talking about.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Michael15r on April 16, 2006 12:01 PM
I know what you mean!... I do the same thing!
I have some perennials that need FULL SUN, but I have them in FULL Shade and they are growing wonderfully! [thumb]

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by Pianolady on April 28, 2006 03:37 PM
I do this a lot. Always push my luck to see where things will grow. Right now I have bleeding hearts in full sun, and peonies in my shade garden. I've also been brave enough to try just about anything under my walnut tree. More survives there than hostas!

-
by SpringFever on April 28, 2006 03:51 PM
I have a bunch of flowers in the north area.. totally full shade which is made further more by the huge oak tree in my yard I grow lily's purple cone, shasta daisies, carnations... they all bloom and look great.. look at my siggy button that is in my shade shade garden ya never know !!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Homestead on April 28, 2006 04:57 PM
Hello to everyone.

I just today pulled up a spent sunflower that had sprouted out of bird feed, and the sunflower was growing UNDER my apple tree, right beside my acanthus. It had two heads on it about saucer sized. Maybe call it a 'shadeflower' instead? I also have a Carolina jessamine growing in a shady spot, which gets light during the day but no direct sunlight at all, regardless of time of day or year. I want to cover an ugly but necessary fence and thought well, I would just try planting it there to see what it would do. It is growing and vining well and I am well pleased. Four O'clocks in dense shade, underneath elephant ears also. Glad I am not the only one whose plants do alright other than where the lable says.
by SpringFever on April 29, 2006 02:44 AM
Welcome honestead!! it may take a little longer to bloom but they do?..

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Plant identification help| Next thread: Plant Lights »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: