The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

2 Crust Meat Pies for Weezie

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: 2 BIG problems .....| Next thread: 2 life birds! »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on January 31, 2006 05:12 AM
2 Crust Meat Pies

Filling

1 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups hot water
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
2 Tablespoons red wine or apple cider vinegar
1 can 6 oz sliced mushrooms, drained

Brown beef and onions in preheated skillet. Drain beef. Stir in salt, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce and flour. Add water bouillon and wine; mix well. Set aside.

Pie crusts

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon sugar
12 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into about 12 pieces
4 Tablespoons cold shortnening, cut into about 4 pieces
About 6 Tablespoons ice water

Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in the container of a food processor; pulse once or twice. Add the butter and turn on the machine; process until the butter and flour are blended and the mixture looks like cornmeal, about 10 seconds.

Place the mixture in a bowl and sprinkle ice water over it. Use a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula to gradually gather the mixture into a ball; if the mixture seems dry, and another 1/2 tablespoon of ice water. When you can make the mixture intoa ball with your hands, do so. Wrap in plastic, flatten into a small disk, and freeze the dough for 10 minutes (or refrigerate for 30 minutes); this will ease rolling.

Divide the dough into two equal halves. Roll out the dough until it is a 1/4 inch thick.

Place the first crust inside the pie plate press it in place and rough trim the edges.

Freeze dough for 10 minutes.

Take dough out and prick all over with a fork. Pour in the filling and then roll out the second crust and place on top of the pie. Crimp the edges and cut 2 slices near the center to vent. Use tin foil to cover the edge of the crust during the first 15 minutes of baking to stop it from becomming too done.

Bake at 375F for 45 to 60 minutes. It is done when the crust is a nice golden brown.

-
 -
by tkhooper on January 31, 2006 05:17 AM
upsie daisy lol

-
 -
by tkhooper on January 31, 2006 09:28 PM
reference the bottom crust. Prebaking the bottom crust would make it overdone when you are working with two crusts so it isn't recommended. What you can do is place the pie pan on a baking sheet during the baking process to help the bottom crust get it's golden brown color and decrease the "doughy" consistancy. Also for the same reason you might want to roll out the bottom crust thinner than the top crust again to decrease the amount of "doughiness". And yes you do want to prick the bottom crust all over to stop it from becoming mishapened. Also make sure that the crust is pressed firmly into the pan again for the same reason. Hope these little tips help some.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on January 31, 2006 09:53 PM
I wonder if you could use frozen crusts...then thaw them out and act like they are homemade. [nutz]
...try to straighten one out for the top without tearing it up.
I hate making pie crust...

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by princessazlea on January 31, 2006 10:15 PM
I can't make pastry, so I buy the ready made. Can you buy readymade there? I know its lazy!!

-
 -
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".
by afgreyparrot on January 31, 2006 10:28 PM
You know, I'm sure they have stuff like that...I just never look!
I don't care if it's lazy...making pie crusts is not fun for me, not to mention my rolling pin is in storage.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by tkhooper on February 01, 2006 03:17 AM
sure you can use ready made crusts no problem. I just put that part there encase Weezie wanted to do it the hard way lol.

-
 -
by jonni13 on February 01, 2006 03:53 AM
I can cook up a storm but I can't make a pie crust that I really like. Very few places do. I like them super dry and flaky; like puff pastry without the "puff".
The old saying is "Easy as pie" always bothered me because pie is not easy.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by tkhooper on February 01, 2006 06:25 AM
The flakiest pie crust that I know of is the combination of 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortnening. And using the chill from the freezer rather than additional flour to keep it from sticking. The more flour the tougher the dough becomes.

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 03, 2006 06:52 AM
I have THE WORST TIME WITH PASTRY/DOUGH STUFF..

When I was young, my mom always let me cook if I wanted to, and experiment.. *ahhhhhhhh, how I love to experiment*, I found a recipe, and don't ask me for it, cause I don't have it, waaaa [Eek!] aaaaa, cause I'd love to still have it..

But it was for bread, and you cooked it up sliced, believe it or not.. but it was fun, and it came out, but not quite right, and I've tried pies, and such, but those things that require flour and rolling, JUST ELUDE ME!! [tears]

I have never tried making a the two crust pot pie,
but would love to do it some day......
*wish I had someone here, that really knew how to cook, standing right next to me, couching me..*
*I need to get on one of those Food Network Show's*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on February 03, 2006 06:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
The flakiest pie crust that I know of is the combination of 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortnening. And using the chill from the freezer rather than additional flour to keep it from sticking. The more flour the tougher the dough becomes.
That's my mistake, don't freeze it, and I'm always extra flouring the board when I'm rolling it, and I knowwwwwwwww I roll it or work it toooo much [Embarrassed]

Thanks Tammy for posting this... [thumb] [Cool] [grin]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on February 03, 2006 08:34 AM
No problem.

I've been going through a friends cookbook with "authentic" american recipes. I may add some of those here If I can talk myself into typing up more recipes. But not tonight, definitely not tonight lol.

-
 -
by floweraddict on February 08, 2006 12:49 PM
OMG, u should have seen me when i tried doing a pie crust for the 1st time.... What a #&%*#@$% MESS! The kitchen looked as if a bunch of toddlers had gone exploring while mommy and daddy were busy in the bedroom....
After the 3rd attempt that night i called my mother... I used a lot of Crisco that night...
I'm stubborn, but it finally worked out...

[nutz]

Bob
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: 2 BIG problems .....| Next thread: 2 life birds! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: