The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hybrids

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hybrid question?| Next thread: hydragea »
Back to Thread index
by Huangrabarguar on October 07, 2006 03:27 AM
Can anyone tell me if cacti can be hybridised with other species of cacti. E.g. An astrophytum with a Gymnocalycium. Or do they have to be of the same species?
by margaret e. pell on October 07, 2006 01:22 PM
Some and some. Whatever you've got that blooms at the same time, try. I use a small craft paint brush to good advantage with my aloe. It's interesting what will set seed and what will not. Keep records. In any cross, the seed patent goes first; if your astro. and gymno. work, and the astro sets seed, the seeds are astro x gymno. If the gymno sets seeds, its seeds are gymno x astro. Lots of cacti are self fertile, so you have to watch out for that. Aloe are not self fertile, so I know when I've got a cross. By extreme care, indoors with no polinating insects, I've gotten a rebutia/echinocereus cross in both directions. The plants areless than 1/4 inch at the moment... Certainly the parents don't have to be of the same species, perhaps and perhaps not the same genus. Tell us what happens!!!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Huangrabarguar on October 07, 2006 04:25 PM
cheers!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hybrid question?| Next thread: hydragea »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: