The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

raspberry sawfly larvae problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Raspberry Help| Next thread: raspy raspberries »
Back to Thread index
by Rob B. on July 05, 2006 08:47 AM
My raspberry leaves are being ravaged by small caterpillars I'm told are sawfly larvae. I know I can buy a bottle of bacteria which kill the larvae, but my garden is huge, so it would be expensive and time-consuming to spray the whole lot.

My question is: since the canes drop their leaves every winter, should I even worry about the destruction? If so, I don't have to try to kill the larvae.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
by Buglady on July 13, 2006 04:23 PM
I can tell you that the "bacteria" will not work on sawflies because they are not caterpillars, they are immature wasps. The "bacteria" only works on caterpillars which are the larval stage of moths and butterflies.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by Rob B. on July 17, 2006 08:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Buglady:
I can tell you that the "bacteria" will not work on sawflies because they are not caterpillars, they are immature wasps. The "bacteria" only works on caterpillars which are the larval stage of moths and butterflies.
I know, but it's the caterpillars that are eating my leaves and so it's the caterpillars I want to kill.

But the main question is -- do I even need to worry about the holes in the leaves, given that the leaves are needed only for one year?

Rob B.
by Buglady on July 17, 2006 08:42 AM
but you said your plants were being eaten by sawflies.. immature sawflies look just like caterpillars but they are NOT caterpillars.

like here check out this photo.. these are not "caterpillars"

sawflies

and the point is.. that BT will not kill sawflies. So if you wanted to treat the bacteria you have will not work.

As for the damage they do, a few holes will not hurt but also the over all health of you plant can make a difference. Healthy plants can handle a few holes where stressed ones would take it harder.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Raspberry Help| Next thread: raspy raspberries »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: