The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

share your aloe... ( ! )

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: shaping a dragon tree?| Next thread: share your aloe... ( ! ) »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 2 1
by jbckwth on November 01, 2006 02:42 PM
Thank you for your help. Have 3 pix of my plant. photobucket photobucket

have heard that the roots are shallow so can not understand how repotting will work. It is just too top heavy.

Jean
by myndful on November 01, 2006 07:54 PM
Yep, it's doing exactly what mine did. Mine started straightening out when I gave it more light and staked it. I would tie it loosely and gradually tighten it, if you stake it. Also, make sure the "back" side of the plant is facing the new light source.

That soil looks pretty wet as well. When/if you repot, let the plant sit out for a while to dry the roots, and don't water for a few days after repotting.

Hope this helps!

http://myndfulmeanderings.blogspot.com
by comfrey on November 02, 2006 11:32 AM
Jean.....It look's simular to one of mine also...if you go back and look at my bigger ones, which I need to repot. What I would do is get a deeper/larger pot and pot it deeper, which should help and also pot the baby up in a new pot by itself.

-
 -
by jbckwth on November 03, 2006 07:48 AM
Thanks for the tips.. Will try the repotting..Will try to bury it deeper in the pot. In order to put it in a bigger pot it will have to be on the floor and there is no direct light on the floor. Will try to move it in front of the window to get more sun since is winter now. It always moved away from the direct sun before. Have already seperated the baby out and it is doing great.

Jean
by Dixie Angel on November 03, 2006 09:48 AM
Here's my aloe:

-

Dianna

-
 -
by margaret e. pell on November 06, 2006 03:10 AM
I think I finally figured out how to do this. If so, here are some of mine.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k97/mepcharm/

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by margaret e. pell on November 06, 2006 08:27 AM
Dixie Angel, jbckwth, your aloes want more sun! Aloe Vera comes from the Canary Islands. Sun, lots of direct sun, and not much water. If they get enough, they may sun-tan. This is not a problem for the plant. IMHO this is not the prettiest aloe, just the most readily available. The more sun they get, the better they look.

-

by comfrey on November 07, 2006 04:16 AM
Wow Margaret....All your plants look great, I esp liked seeing the Fenestraria flower.

I recently moved a couple of Aloe's that didn't get much light or any real light under florescent lights, and at first I noticed that one started turning reddish looking....Now it is standing up proudly, greener with reddish tips and looks so good compared with how it did look.

-
 -
by comfrey on November 07, 2006 04:24 AM
Margaret...what do you do with all of your plants in the winter, do you have a special place for them? Do you do any thing special to keep them going through the winter?

-
 -
by margaret e. pell on November 07, 2006 06:49 AM
I have big south and east facing windows and I have made long, narrow tables to go in front of them. I also have lights set up in the mud room. Even with the lights, A. Cameronii is only red outside in full south-facing sun.

-

by plants 'n pots on November 07, 2006 07:27 AM
Margaret - I'm so glad to see your plants up close and personal!
I didn't get a chance to see each one when I was at your house - they looked great as a group, but this is even better getting to see each one - thanks so much for the link to your album!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by 1978LespaulCustom on November 07, 2006 09:18 AM
by margaret e. pell on November 07, 2006 11:00 AM
That's a nice plant!

-

by 1978LespaulCustom on November 07, 2006 11:27 AM
I just hope I can keep it nice! We shall see! LOL!!
by margaret e. pell on November 07, 2006 09:15 PM
"Lots of sun and not much water in a fast draining soil" is the mantra of happy aloe growers!

-

by Tonya on November 08, 2006 01:27 AM
Margaret- Your aloes are awesome!! I made a list of the ones I want to try! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by comfrey on November 08, 2006 02:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Tonya:
Margaret- Your aloes are awesome!! I made a list of the ones I want to try! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] So did I Tonya...I have it on my desk right in front of me. Well I guess we know what to get each other, if want to ever exchange gifts...LOL

-
 -
by Tonya on November 08, 2006 02:18 AM
[thumb] Yup!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by margaret e. pell on November 08, 2006 01:04 PM
I can tell you where I got them, if you'd like.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: shaping a dragon tree?| Next thread: share your aloe... ( ! ) »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: