The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help my jade tree!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: HELP MY IVY PLANT| Next thread: Help my money Tree »
Back to Thread index
by Karadragetic on August 04, 2006 01:30 PM
if anyone can give me any advice on this i would be very very appreciative!!! i have a large jade tree that i recently inherited. it was originally kept in deep shade outside in the sf bay area. i currently have it in the brightest upstairs east-facing room of my house (when i tried to put it outside in sun the leaves burned, shade outside didn't seem to work either, but it has been dropping green leaves lately, sometimes shriveled, sometimes not (i only water it once every other week or so...haven't had it through winter yet). my other problem is that some (not all) of the new leaves are coming in misshapen. a few leaves have brown scars on them, and a lot of the branch joinings seem to be putting out roots. if anyone knows what i am doing wrong or something i should do that i am not please let me know, i really don't want to lose this tree.

thanks!!!!
by afgreyparrot on August 04, 2006 02:54 PM
Hi, Karadragetic..... [wavey]

Here's some info I found here on jade plants...

Guide for Growing Jade Plants

Jade Plant Pests

Hope this helps some.

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Huangrabarguar on August 04, 2006 10:44 PM
you could try gradually moving it from the shady area to the sunny area, step by step. For example, move it to a less shady area for a week, then an averagely lit area, then a slightly sunny, etc etc etc...
The jade would have noticed the sudden change of light and wouldn't have been able to cope with it.

If that fails, you could always cut off and plant some of those branches with roots, that way you can start again.
by margaret e. pell on August 05, 2006 12:00 PM
Jades are very sensitive to change. If you've had it less than ~2 months, and in and out of direct sun, it's still adjusting. The deformed new leaves might have been sunburned as just-forming buds. How does the room you have it in now compare to the deep shade it was in before? In general, jades like a lot of sun, but Huangrabarguar is right; you have to do that gradually. Aerial roots often mean a plant wants more water. How often you need to water it depends on how much it's growing, the size/type of pot it's in, humidity/driness of the air, ..., so many things. Just stick your finger in there and water when the top 2 inches are dry in the summer. I know from experience jades can drop a lot of leaves and still be ok.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by margaret e. pell on August 05, 2006 12:02 PM
And hello, Karadragetic! Welcome!

-

by Karadragetic on August 05, 2006 05:03 PM
thanks for the help (and the welcome! [Smile] margaret and Huangrabarguar! i'll try watering it a bit more often.
the room i have it in now has great blinds that allow me to let in anything from direct sunlight to darkness all day, so i'll try gradually opening them more to give it a chance to adapt, like you guys said.

again, thanks very much! i have restored hope for my tree!
by margaret e. pell on August 06, 2006 03:11 AM
Where there is life there is ALWAYS hope!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: HELP MY IVY PLANT| Next thread: Help my money Tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: