The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aloe

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Aloe| Next thread: aloe »
Back to Thread index
by plantqueen on July 11, 2006 07:08 AM
I was given a couple of aloe plants that are about 3 -4" tall. They keep popping out of the soil like they have no roots and I find them laying on top. What do I do with it?

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by margaret e. pell on July 11, 2006 05:48 PM
"Like" they have no roots? Do they or don't they? My guess is not, or they'd stay in the dirt. Aloe loose their roots from too much water, they just rot away. These are succulents from sunny, hot, dry places in the world. You have to mimic these conditions for successful growth.
My post to mhuff might help you, too. "Oh, yes, there's hope. Clean off the bottom of the plant under running fresh water and leave it unpotted in bright but not direct light for 3-4 days. This will let the end callouse over to keep further rot from happening. In the mean time, get an unglazed terra cotta pot and some cactus soil or regular potting soil with added drainage material. When the plant is ready, put it in the soil ~1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. You'll have to provide support. Then water it as if it had roots; about once a week until the water comes through, then remove ALL excess and let it dry out. ... Aloe are quite forgiving. Good luck, let us know how it goes!" Happy aloe = sun + quick draining soil. No one can tell you how often to water as that depends upon how big the pot is (make it an unglazed terracotta pot), how fast the soil drains, sun, humidity, ... In general, give it as much sun as you can, let it get bone dry for 1 or 2 days before rewatering in summer, a week or more in winter. To you, too, good luck, let us know how it goes!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by plantqueen on July 12, 2006 07:01 AM
Thank you! I will try that. Should I put it right in a sunny window or give it indirect light?

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by margaret e. pell on July 12, 2006 05:13 PM
They want as much direct sun as you can give them. Only you know how much they've been getting and how much is the max you can give them. If the difference is great and there's no screen on the window (screens act like shade cloth in a greenhouse) and your weather is a lot sunnier than the humid/hazy northeast, you might want to phase it in over a week. It's probably not necessary, but can't hurt.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Aloe| Next thread: aloe »
Back to Thread index