The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

sagging aloe

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Sage| Next thread: sago palm- white spots »
Back to Thread index
by hcraig970 on July 01, 2006 03:56 AM
I have a pretty tall large aloe plant. I put it outside last summer and it did great. I brought it in for the winter and just put it back outside. I also re potted it, it seemed much to big for its pot. Now the bottom "leaves" are very droopy and i only moved and re potted it a week ago. Have I done something terribly wrong? Any suggestions or advice would be great!!
by hcraig970 on July 01, 2006 08:29 AM
Here is a pic of my aloe
 -
 -

The bottom leaves that are now bent were strong and straight just a week ago.

Heather
by margaret e. pell on July 02, 2006 05:11 PM
What did the roots look like when you repotted it? How much sun does it get now/did it get before you put it outside? Make sure no water collects in the saucer. I put my pots up on soda bottle tops so I can water the plants until it comes through and they never sit in water. Did you water it after you transplanted it? That's a good idea for some plants but not for cacti and succulents. You want to let them dry out and heal over and roots damaged in transplanting for 4 or 5 days before watering. Actually, it doesn't look so bad. Aloe tend to have more character than perfection. Give it lots of sun and keep it on the dry side and it should do fine this summer, too. Just remember to move it into the sun gradually.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by hcraig970 on July 03, 2006 04:11 AM
Thanks for taking a look! I didn't get a good look at the roots when I repotted it. It was a bit of a struggle with all the crazy sharp angels. I did water once I re potted which I am now guessing was the problem. I have it in good sun now and I am letting it dry out. What would be a sign that it is ready for some more water? Do you think I should pull it out and re pot it again in drier soil. I thought that would be too much stress? Thanks again!

Heather
by margaret e. pell on July 03, 2006 05:26 PM
I let my aloe get very dry before rewatering. Some bone dry. NY is a lot more humid than CO, so you may want to water once a week or so. Stick a finger in the soil and don't water if you feel any dampness. Water it until the water comes through, then dump the excess, don't let it sit in water ever. Don't rerepot, just let it dry out where it is, you're right about the stress. It'll be fine.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Sage| Next thread: sago palm- white spots »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: