The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bonsai Tree - dying?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Bonsai Tree| Next thread: bonsai trees »
Back to Thread index
by Shani on July 11, 2004 06:59 PM
I have a small Juniper Bonsai that looks like its dying. The branches are slowly drying out and there is hardly any new growth on it, I only got the tree at Christmas and it come with a book about Bonsai's I've followed instructions but it does seem to be doing any better, I water it every few days in the winter and every other day in the summer, but most of the water runs straight through to the pot and comes out the bottom, I mist it occassionally too.

Does any one have any ideas on making my tree healthier?

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by Nako on July 12, 2004 06:57 AM
Is it inside, or outside? Cuz most bonsais do better outside. I think it also needs to be misted regularly. That way, it'll simulate rainwater collecting on the leaves, and the tree will have more time to absorb the water.

*thinks* hmmmmmmmmmmm what else... oh ya, i think it also needs a 20 degree temperature change between day and night.

I donno if that helps, but hopefully someone else will come by with more info.

Good luck with it! [Smile]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Arctostaphylos on July 13, 2004 12:26 AM
Two thoughts come to mind (1) the soil has become hydophobic That is it has dried to the point that water will not adhear to the soil particles. However this seems unlikely given the frequency of watering. However if this is the issue soak the entire pot (i.e. set the pot in a bucket of water) you can add a drop or two of dish soap to help the soil absorbe water. OK as to idea (2), this seems far more likely to me, that the plant has become root bound. Given the nature of bonzi plants they need to be root pruned reguallary. When a plant fills its pot with roots there basicaly is not sufficent soil to retain the moisture. Pop the little guy out and look at the roots if they are not white healthy I think this is likely your issle. Good luck.
by Shani on July 13, 2004 03:54 PM
Hmm, I hadn't thought of looking at the roots, I will give that a try tonight, thanks

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bonsai Tree| Next thread: bonsai trees »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: