The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Old aloe plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Old aloe| Next thread: old canning recipe, tomatoe soup »
Back to Thread index
by Kara on May 29, 2006 09:28 AM
Ive had this aloe plant for maybe 8-10 years. For a long time while I went to school, I gave the plant to my mother. She took adequate care of it, just watering when she remembered, and now its indeed grown very big. But she never fertilized it or repotted it. I know some aloe plants flower and produce pups, but this one never has. I dont know what type of aloe vera it is but I was wondering if that was something it should be doing. Maybe I should get some cacti fertilizer? Thanks for help!
by margaret e. pell on May 29, 2006 10:39 AM
Do you have a picture? If it has 8-10 years of growth and no pups, it might not be aloe vera. There are over 400 species of aloe, maybe you have a different one. Aloe generally don't mind being a bit root bound, but at this point it might appreciate a larger pot and some fresh soil. I'd hold off on the fertilizer and repot with cactus soil. I'd love to see a picture of this plant!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Kara on July 02, 2006 09:12 AM
Thanks Margaret for your help! Ive been having trouble getting a picture but i did finally replant it. Unfortunatly it almost fell over in the transplanting process. But I got a stake and am using it to steady the plant while the roots re-establish. The poor aloe was pretty far gone. But! It finally gave me a pup! 8-10 years of growth and finally it gives me a pup!!
by margaret e. pell on July 03, 2006 05:40 PM
Joy!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Old aloe| Next thread: old canning recipe, tomatoe soup »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: