The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sick Crassula

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: sick butterfly plants| Next thread: sick gardenia »
Back to Thread index
by LindaMermaid on May 20, 2006 04:48 PM
I have several big jades growing outdoors in a spot that receives full sun for half of the day. It has been there for 5 years and did well in the beginning. Lately, the leaves are turning yellow, getting lumpy and drying up. There are tiny black or rust-colored blisters on the surface of the dried up leaves. The plants are getting spindly looking due to lack of leaves. There don't appear to be any insects, I've examined the plant closely with a strong magnifying glass for mites. The dead leaves appear to be lumpy but the lumps don't appear to have an insect in them. The soil is poor but probably no poorer than their native african soil. They get watered lightly twice a week during dry months, not at all during the winter. They bloom every year which seems odd if they are so sick. I've spent hours online looking for information. Any suggestions?
by gardenmom32210 on May 21, 2006 01:28 AM
It sounds like it is suffering from edema. Jades are just one of a few plants that are susceptible to it. Here is an article I found for you that lists the symptoms and treatment for it.
plant edema

Hope it helps [thumb]

G-Mom [grin]
by LindaMermaid on May 22, 2006 01:57 PM
This sounds about right. It seems to happen when it's cool and rainy, then the plant recovers somewhat in the summer. Thanks for the tip!

quote:
Originally posted by gardenmom32210:
It sounds like it is suffering from edema. Jades are just one of a few plants that are susceptible to it. Here is an article I found for you that lists the symptoms and treatment for it.
plant edema

Hope it helps [thumb]

G-Mom [grin]

by gardenmom32210 on May 23, 2006 02:39 AM
Glad I was able to help you out.......Welcome to the forum [wavey]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sick butterfly plants| Next thread: sick gardenia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: