The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Kalanchoe Calandiva care instructions please

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Kalanchoe Calandiva babies| Next thread: Kalanchoe Care? »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on March 07, 2006 09:52 PM
Hi all,

I need some information about what to do after the plant finishes blooming. Do I dead head or cut the flower spikes off or do I just leave it alone? It is very small and kind of thin at the moment and I would like it to become thicker. Thank you for all your help.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on March 07, 2006 09:59 PM
Hey, Tammy!

With my kalachoe, I am planning on taking some cuttings from it after the blooming is over and plopping them right back in the dirt to fill it out. It died last year except for a couple of cuttings and the thing is blooming its' fool head off right now...

Dianna

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on March 07, 2006 10:10 PM
Here is what mine looks like right now:

-

-

Don't know what "cultivar" it is...

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 07, 2006 10:28 PM
Those flowers look bigger than mine. It sounds like I chose to small of a pot for it. The leaves cover all of the bottom of the pot. I just thought that maybe if I cut off the flower spike after it was done growing it might branch and add more spikes the next time. It sounds like I was off on that idea lol. I look forward to sending some of the leaves to Miss Jamie after it is done blooming. I've been reading that there are some that produce a double bloom. I'm going to keep an eye out for some of those I think.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on March 07, 2006 10:39 PM
Tammy, mine is only in a four inch pot...

quote:
maybe if I cut off the flower spike after it was done growing it might branch and add more spikes the next time
Who knows? It might work. I will be cutting off the tips on mine, so I guess I will find out.

Maybe someone else will be along shortly to clue us both in...

Dianna

-
 -
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 08, 2006 07:23 AM
I cut the flower spikes off of mine. and in the place i cut i got 3 side shoots coming out so it does work

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 07:46 AM
Thanks garden guy. I'm glad to hear that.

-
 -
by angelblossom on March 08, 2006 10:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by GardenGuy_Gardener:
I cut the flower spikes off of mine. and in the place i cut i got 3 side shoots coming out so it does work
That's true I cut mine off but only after it has dried and even then I cut back a full inch back from dried flower stem somethimes I get one shoot and sometimes multiple (multiple usually happens when I cut from "mother branch"(main stock)...

Tk This will bring you many years of beautiful flowers and I repot mine every two years but will have to soon stop A few years ago I had one so large I had to put it in a large patio pot that held 60lb of soil and kept it in my bay window I left it in KS when I moved here My Daughter now has it but it had started out the size of yours.. [thumb] But I cut some of it and brought with me now it's farely large.

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by tkhooper on March 08, 2006 09:08 PM
Well I can't let it get that large. I gave away my largest coleus because I didn't have room for it. Now I have one of it's cuttings that is just the right size.

I love the size of this plant I just want a bushier appearance to the flower spikes and with your advice I'm sure I'll get it. Thank you for your help. I have plenty of egg shells so that's no problem. I'm sure the tomatoes will share lol.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Kalanchoe Calandiva babies| Next thread: Kalanchoe Care? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: