The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

JV and I went to Dallas Home & garden show

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 2
by Aaron D on March 10, 2006 10:53 AM
well it should be no longer than a week or two at the most for all the flowers to open... the flower spike and colors will linger for a while until it dries up and dies...any bright indirect light will do, if you have other plants growing in that window and they are fine your tillandsia will be fine too... have you seen my post in the house plants section with some of my tillandsia pics? i love tillandsias really thats the only bromeliad genera i apprecitiate the most [Smile]
by Aaron D on March 10, 2006 11:00 AM
oh btw, the flowers will be a tubular corolla (petals pointing up in a cylinder shape) and a deep royal purple color...
here a pic of what the flower will look like this isnt a picture of your exact plant species... this is T. Tricolor var. Melanocrater YOURS IS T. Tricolor var. Tricolor. im showing you this to better show you what the flower will look like...
http://anwyl.com/images/tillandsia/anw00829.jpg
AND, your watering shedule is just fine just remember that the water doesnt stay in the plant for too long i all ways tip the plant upsidedown and gently shake the excess water out...
by angelblossom on March 10, 2006 12:45 PM
Wow that pic was awesome!!! I do turn it up side down and shake it so the water doesn't 'puddle! yes I checked out your post on tillandsia I'm becoming quite fond of them my self [clappy] thanks for the info! I'm glad I was doing it the right way [thumb] [flower]

Diane

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Aaron D on March 11, 2006 02:59 AM
well it depends on the size of the pup... it may take more than five years... but its a fast grower, this plant will produce many leaves thoughout its lifetime. on the otherhand this plant gains girth VERY SLOWLY, the gain in girth will allow larger leaves to delevop and support for the massive 1 foot + flower spike... you many be also interested in other "Durattii-like" plants... these are T. Strepocarpa, and T. Reichenbachii... they look very similar with the long curling leaves but these plants are a fraction of the size... and unlike T. Durattii will have either white or lavender flowers that are just a fragrant... but these plant can be just as expensive as a Durattii, because they are not common inb cultivation... try going to eBay and typing in 'tillandsia' and shop around at the "Airplants Seashells Paradise" store i have bout many plants from here and been very pleased with the quality specimens he ships...
by Aaron D on March 11, 2006 11:45 AM
oops i posted this on the wrong thread... its supposed to be where you asked the question about the durattii...
by angelblossom on March 11, 2006 12:15 PM
[Big Grin] Hey I look for answers where ever I can get them!! Thanks for info about ebay I will check on it !! Thanks
Diane

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: