The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sick Jade

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: sick iris| Next thread: Sick Japanese Maple/ Acer palmatum »
Back to Thread index
by jrspirits on February 28, 2006 12:18 AM
I have a small jade plant in my office that I propagated from a dying large jade. At first it seemed to be doing well, now I'm not sure. It droops and has brown edges on some of the leaves. I have followed this sites directions on watering and the plant gets plenty of sunlight. I started this plant from what seemed to be the healthiest branch of the mother plant. Any suggestions?

J.S.
by tkhooper on February 28, 2006 02:49 AM
my jade droops while it is small but then the trunk gets thicker with age and turns brown and then it's goes from acting like a vine to acting like a tree. It's a very strange cycle to watch and I love it. The edges of the jade should turn brown or purple depending on the variety. That means it is healthy and happy. But it should just be the edges and in the case of mine the bottom side of the leaf. The top center stays green.

I hope I've made sense.

-
 -
by jrspirits on February 28, 2006 03:03 AM
I sounds like my jade may be healthy after all. There has been new growth and the trunk is getting thicker. Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.

Joe

J.S.
by jrspirits on March 01, 2006 09:59 PM
My jade is in such a place in my office where I can keep a constant eye on it. Now that I'm paying closer attention to it, it seems that it is following the sun. Many times throughout the day when I check it out it seems to be in a different position. Putting 2 & 2 together, I see that its position is in direct relation to the sun's position. I never knew that they acted like this. I only have 2 plants right now, a jade and an aloe vera.

J.S.
by tkhooper on March 01, 2006 10:44 PM
the aloe vera will also tilt toward the sun. It is much slower than the jade at moving though. What I usually notice is that the central leaves will appear to stand up rather than lying flat like the ones on the sunny side of the plant do. I rotate the pot so that the lean doesn't become very noticeable but then I think that's because of my OCD lol.

I recently got a Kalanchoe Calandiva which is another succulent like the jade and the aloe vera. The Kalanchoe flowers a great deal though and I wanted some house plants that did that. It's care is basically the same as the other two plants that you have so I thought I would mention it.

Did you know that when your aloe vera gets about 12 inches across that if it gets enough sun it will flower. Mine did it for the first time this year. I was so excited I didn't know what to do with myself.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sick iris| Next thread: Sick Japanese Maple/ Acer palmatum »
Back to Thread index