The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Broken Jade Tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Broken jade plant| Next thread: Broken Persian Shield »
Back to Thread index
by Aurora on February 21, 2006 11:03 PM
Hello, My 55 year old jade tree - about 4 feet high broke at the base - so no roots. How do I save this plant. Can I repot? Do I need to grow roots? Diameter of stem about 4" to 5"
Thankyou
by jonni13 on February 21, 2006 11:49 PM
I think it would be hard to root the whole tree/bush. But it would be hard to loose something that old too. I would take off the bottom branches (like trimming the bottom branches off of a Christmas tree so it will fit in the stand?) And then put the plant in soil that you might need to keep damper than you normally would. You will probably have to stake it as well. Then root all of the 'trimmings' the same way in case you lose mamma. You'll have better odds of having something left that way.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by jonni13 on February 21, 2006 11:51 PM
Oh, and welcome to the forums. I'm so sorry you found us looking for a cure for a crisis. But happy that you did find us.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
by Aurora on February 22, 2006 12:12 AM
Thanks for reply. Another problem, it seems that the main root is dark green (mould) too much water - rotted? Maybe that was why is broke -= also top heavy and to one side.
So I figure best to cut off some of the branches and see if those okay - to root. So basically I would cut - and just put in soil?
by plants 'n pots on February 22, 2006 12:28 AM
Aurora - it's best to let the stems callous over (dry out where you cut it) before potting them up - believe me, I have learned this from experience. The new stems should take very well if you don't overwater them once planted.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by jonni13 on February 22, 2006 12:30 AM
Well. all the books say to cut and let the cuts callus over for a day or two. To help prevent rot. I find that jades root really easily. Even a lone leaf that falls off will root around mine. But mine are outdoors in my semi-desert climate. I have never had any mold or rot problems, so I'm clueless there.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
by plants 'n pots on February 22, 2006 12:34 AM
Tina - great minds think alike!!! [Big Grin] [clappy] [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by jonni13 on February 22, 2006 12:48 AM
Well, the whole time I'm talking I've got my tongue in my cheek. I've never let any cutting callus and have good rates of survival. But I think that's because I live in such a dry climate. Most of my potted plants are sitting in saucers absolutely full of water all of the time and I don't have a root-rot problem. Getting enough water to my plants is a bigger problem than overwatering.
So it's do as The books say, not as I do.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
by JV on February 22, 2006 01:49 AM
Aurora Welcome to the forum from Midcites area of DFW Texas. I would love to have a cutting of this Jade plant if your not going to use them all. Think it would be neat to have a Jade tree like that growing in North Texas. I have to blame Tina for getting me addicted to Jade [Big Grin] had already had cactus all my life growing up in New Mexico that is just a given.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by cinta on February 22, 2006 01:12 PM
I break a branches off of my jade. Let it lay out for a day or two then stick it in the pot of dry soil. I do not water it for at least a month. I mist the leaves so it does not dry out until it roots in about a month. It will rot again if you put it in moist soil because it does not have any roots to take the water in through the stem.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Broken jade plant| Next thread: Broken Persian Shield »
Back to Thread index