The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sempervirium aka Hens & Chicks

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Semi-Tropical Gardens| Next thread: sempervivum »
Back to Thread index
by cinta on February 13, 2006 02:29 PM
A neighbor started my passion for these plants. It is cold zone gardners option of for similar appearance plants grown in zone 9 - 10.

They are alpine plants. I love that when the snow melts there they are colorful and survived under our weather condiions.

I have made wreaths, topiary in a pot for winter interst on the porch. Can you tell how much I love them?

-

-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by weezie13 on February 13, 2006 08:46 PM
I have a few of them too, and they are the
easist, nicest plants to grow...
and such a neat looking plant...

However, those purple ones are very neat looking..
Mine are all green ones...
Neat!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by jonni13 on February 13, 2006 11:38 PM
Can you ID the two you showed pic's of, Cinta?

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by Triss on February 14, 2006 04:24 AM
I also like the purple. Very neat looking!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by plants 'n pots on February 14, 2006 05:11 AM
Cinta... I really like the 2 you pictured here - especially the red one on top! I had wanted to make a collection here too, and started buying them last summer, but found that most of them died back after blooming and the chicks were few and far between...

I wanted to ask you... I had always known the spelling of this plant to be semperVIVUM - is your way another version of the same thing?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by cinta on February 14, 2006 06:36 AM
Plants, you are right. It was my late night spelling problem. LOL Thank you for catching that. It is Sempervivum. We want people to have the correct spelling when they start to collect these.

If they are flowering and die it is usually because you have them in the house or you give them too much fertilizers. I have only had blooms in the past 3 years twice. They like very lean soil 50/50 soil gravel. I have most of mine growing in more gravel as much as 75%.

I will look up the purple one and post the name. I brought about 50 the last 2 years. I am trying to collect a all red for a Christmas wreath. This was one I thought would be red but it is as you see a deep purple all summer and fall.

by plants 'n pots on February 14, 2006 07:36 AM
quote:
If they are flowering and die it is usually because you have them in the house or you give them too much fertilizers
Interesting... I don't mean to be argumentative, really I don't... but mine are grown outdoors and get full day sun and absolutely no fertilizer! The only thing they might get a bit too much of from time to time is water - depending on what kind of summer we are having...

I have just found this page to be quite helpful in describing sempervivums with good identifying pictures at the bottom...
Sempervivums

Especially where it states
quote:
The only snag with Sempervivum plantings is that this genus is monocarpic i.e. each rosette can only ever flower once and then dies. The dead plant can leave a hole in a clump...
I do love these plants, including the tall pink flowering stalks - my only challenge is getting more chicks to form and survive.

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 14, 2006 07:39 AM
Lynne,
What do you do to yours??

Just outta curiousity???

I don't do a darn thing..

Mine do flower, but othe'rs fill in,
so I really haven't lost any?????

What kind of soil do you have yours in????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Triss on February 14, 2006 07:54 AM
Been reading up a lot on these and everything I have read says the ones that flower do die. Cinta, do you have a hybrid variety that has been produced not to die after it blooms? If so what kind is that one?

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on February 14, 2006 08:33 AM
Triss - Cinta said:

quote:
I have only had blooms in the past 3 years twice
which surprises me a bit, because I thought they were supposed to bloom when they reached the mature cycle of their lives and then die.

Here are a few of mine in bloom last summer:

This one was chock full of chicks with one large hen when I bought it. Most pieces bloomed and afterwards I only had 2 small chicks left. As you can see, the hen was sending up a flower stalk, and all the chicks were in bloom as well.
 -

Some smaller chicks in bloom in the bathtub pond garden:
 -

Weezie - the ones in the frog pot are in a soil with lots of peat and perlite in it, the ones in the ground are in clay soil for the most part with some of that soil mixed in.

-
 -
by cinta on February 14, 2006 09:25 AM
Plant I never think of a discussion about plants as argumentative. I want all the feedback I can get. Plants do have a mind of their own.LOL I did say "usually". There is never any absolutes when with plants, So many things factor in....your zone, your soil, your amount of sun. Nobody knows everything. I know I don't know everything. I can only tell you what works for me.

If my semp bloom it dies. But they do not bloom until maturity. They have made many chicks by then so the one that dies makes room for the baby chicks to fill in. It takes my babies at least 3 yrs to bloom and I have a good patch by then.

plants 'n pots, try an experiment. Take one of your semps. Mix some some really bad cheap potting soil and some gravel 50/50. Peat holds water. I have some growing down a brickwall the only soil they get is what ever they can grab on to between the bricks. It took them 4 years to start blooming. I had so many babies I had to put some in the garbage.

I put this one together 3 yrs ago no blooms yet. I filled the pot with some old aquarium gravel and some old soil I had in pots from the summer before.

I will try a clickable pic so they are not so big.
 -

by jonni13 on February 14, 2006 10:09 AM
Those look nice in the strawberry pot, Cinta On another page that I am too lazy to look up right now, I said my mamma semp bloomed several times w/o dying. Well she's dying now. After putting up several bloom stalks. Elongating and shriveling up and dying. And grandma semp is dead too. Lot's of babies though so we're OK.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
by plants 'n pots on February 14, 2006 10:56 AM
OHHHHHH La La Cinta - that is SOOOOOOO NICE!!!
I'll take you up on that experiment - I'm hoping to have a few that wintered over to do it with - seems that most of mine bloom either the same year I buy them, or the following year - I'd love to have soooo many like you, that I'd have to give them away - could never THROW them away though...

By the way, I'm in zone 6 here in NY.
Where abouts are you in Penn? My kids went to sleep-away camp in Honesdale, Penn. for many years.

-
 -
by cinta on February 14, 2006 12:23 PM
I do not know where Honesdale is located. I am in Pittsburgh my weather is about the same as yours. I am a zone 6. Sometime I think zone 5 with all the ice we get.

OK, if you PM me this summer I will send you some and you can do some more experimenting. I really think it is the Peat that is holding too much water and they are blooming out.

I did give away as many of the Semps as I could.
But they really grow good with my bad treatment. I never plant them just lay them on top of the lean soil/gravel and they grow. Some produce faster than others.

Another hint once you get them growing good and they bloom. I let the flower dry up and sprinkle it on the soil and I have had the seeds grow some baby Semps. I have know idea what the seeds look like so I just sprinkle the whole thing on the ground in the fall.

by jonni13 on February 14, 2006 12:43 PM
I do that with a lot of plants that I don't want too mess getting the seeds out of. Like foxglove. I just toss the dried stems up on the hillside and then they start growing. If I were a more diligent gardener I would be up there dividing them. They are growing in the lines/rows that the stems landed in.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
by Patty S on February 14, 2006 01:02 PM
WOW, Cinta! [thumb] I just love that pot! I've recently acquired a slew of different Succulents, & am stealing your idea! (Thanx!)

I've been trying to find a place around here to start a rock garden, or somewhere that I could make a nice arrangement for these plants. My problem is that we have VERY dry summers, & I haven't got a good location where I can put them, because all of my garden beds need a lot of water, to keep my other plants alive!

[thinker] I do have a rusted out wheelbarrow that nobody ever remebers to take to the dump... maybe that turns out to be a GOOD THING! If I put the Succulents in there, it won't be in "the line of fire" when everything else gets the daily waterings!

Do you think I should just fill it with gravel, as you did with that pot? [dunno] (NO dirt?) [nutz] When we do get rain here in the summer, it's not very often, but it DOESN'T fool around... I would suppose that I'd want something that's going to let the water drain right off, & not soak the roots down, in that wheelbarrow, huh? ...but it WILL need SOME water, won't it? [dunno] (The wheelbarrow itself is no concern... the bottom is barely there! I'll have to reinforce it with chicken wire, to hold anything inside it!)

-
 -
by jonni13 on February 14, 2006 01:19 PM
Succ's in a wheelbarrow are nice, Patty. They shouldn't drown in there. Cinta used a sand/gravel mix. I put mine in my local dirt which is fast draining sand/DG.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
by Triss on February 14, 2006 01:21 PM
Patty, If you decide not to use your wheelbarrel, please save it for me for when I come down cuz I want to do the exact same thing!

-
 -
by cinta on February 14, 2006 01:21 PM
Patty you said succulents. Succulents can take a little more soil and water than the Semps. The ones I have in the pot with my Semps like to be dry.

Since you will have perfect drainage, mix the soil that I described 50/50 soil/gravel. Just do not use rich soil. The Semps will do great.

Last summer we did not get any rain for weeks. They started looking dry I had to give them some water. You will know when they need a drink. If Semps and Sedum are in good drainage and full sun they can take a watering once a week. You should try some in the area you wanted to try them.

by Patty S on February 14, 2006 02:24 PM
Well now, GAWSH!  - It looks like I have MORE homework to do... finding out what the difference is between Succulents & Semps!

I have both, apparently... all the things that you have in your first pics, & some of what Tina has been posting in her topics. (I suppose I could make it so the under-base material is different under each type of plant, if they require different amounts of moisture.)

Triss, You CAN'T HAVE MY WHEELBARROW! [tongue] (If you'd have come here & spotted it before I came up with this idea, I'd have very likely helped you tie it to the top of your van.. & even would have provided the rope!!) [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Story of MY life, too... day late & dollar short! ...But, I'll keep an eye out for another rusty one, for you! In fact, I'll post it over on our local Freecycle page! If you do the same, watch out... you may just be doing wheelbarrows all over your yard!! (Which might be OK, because when you find a house to buy, they'll fit right on a trailer & you'll have instant gardens even before the beds are made, on moving day!) [thumb] COOL!

-
 -
by Triss on February 15, 2006 04:13 AM
Looking VERy forward to the day we get to find a hosue to buy Patty, but I am afraid it is a long way off.

-
 -
by margaret e. pell on February 17, 2006 08:12 AM
Here's a site with every semp and its relative pictured and for sale. I think I'm going to order a few mote this spring!

http://www.squawmountaingardens.com/

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by cinta on February 17, 2006 01:33 PM
That is where I have brought most of my semps from. I like them. There Sedums for cold climates are also good.

by Patty S on February 18, 2006 12:13 AM
Thanks for the link, Margaret. Very helpful! [thumb]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Semi-Tropical Gardens| Next thread: sempervivum »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: