The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Holes in my petunia blooms!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Pug Petunia on June 20, 2006 10:46 AM
I am a novice container gardener eager to have a thriving garden on our rooftop deck in the middle of Manhattan. Last year was a disaster: out of 15 geranium plants no plant produced more than 3 petals--most blooms looked healthy and strong only to look dried up and tan/dry within hours! This year everything looked fine for the first month-a simple selection of sun impatiens, marigolds and petunias. Suddenly--almost overnight there are holes in the petunia blooms!! And today holes in the leaves!! I can't see anything chomping away?? Please help, I am desperate!
by weezie13 on June 21, 2006 03:27 PM
Pug Petunia,
I would love to see a picture...

I am thinkin' a slug, but wonder how one
would be on a rooftop garden, but heyyy,
you just never know....

Let us know if you have a picture.

And Welcome to a fellow New Yorker!!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by matoaka on June 26, 2006 01:05 PM
Pug... I'm having the same problem here in New Mexico. I don't know what's making those holes either. Found them on my petunias a week ago, and today on my geraniums. If you find out, please let me know.

(Weezie.. I don't know if slugs could even live in this dry, dry climate. Haven't seen any little slick trails anywhere. ^shrug^)

Matoaka
High 'n dry in 7(a)
by Squirrel on June 27, 2006 09:35 AM
How about earwigs??? I know one year they made a mess of my petunias. [dunno] [Razz] You probably would see them tho. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by icygold on June 27, 2006 09:41 AM
I am having the same problem. A little nibbling on the pansies but the petunias are taking the brunt of it. oh yes, whatever it is also ate the stems in half on my poppie blooms. It is driving me muts! help please
by matoaka on June 30, 2006 04:30 PM
Well, I know I have ants. But I hear that ants are not harmful to plants. Does anyone know a web site that has pictures of garden pests? Maybe we could recognize our petunia beasties.

I'll google around and let you know if I find anything.

Matoaka
High 'n dry in 7(a)
by matoaka on June 30, 2006 04:52 PM
Here's an article from Sunset Magazine, 1988. Maybe this info can help some of us.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_n6_v180/ai_6696487

Matoaka
High 'n dry in 7(a)

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: