The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

alternate ways to kill weeds???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by slickthing on July 09, 2004 04:55 PM
good morning everyone , have any of you guys ever heard of an alternate to "round up" - i heard vinegar and also hot water - any ideas?
by weezie13 on July 09, 2004 06:01 PM
Slickthing,
Can you tell us WHERE the weeds are???
Are they inbetween your already existing plants, or are you starting a new bed, or between steps???

That will help us narrow it down a bit!!!

Weezie

P.S. Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum too!!!
Are very glad you found us!!!!!!!!!!!!! [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by butterflybaby on July 09, 2004 09:31 PM
It really depends on the kind of weeds and their location. Anything with a taproot needs to be pulled, unless you're prepared to cover it with a rock for a whole season. Vines need to be dug out. I've got a trumpet vine that even Round Up can't stop. But for run-of-the-mill annual types, boiling water, vinegar, and covering them work pretty well.

Paul Jones, the gardening guy on HGTV said 20% strength vinegar would kill weeds. But the vinegar you buy in the store is only 5% and I haven't yet found a place to buy 20% dilution. So, I just sprayed household vinegar on various weeds in the cracks of my driveway. It killed some. I wouldn't do this in a garden, though, because vinegar will change the pH of the soil.

I've had some luck by pouring boiling water with salt dissolved in it over weeds. That will kill just about anything growing in cracks, but if you're looking to kill weeds along a fenceline for example, I wouldn't put all that salt into the ground for the same reasons as vinegar - it'll change the pH. I was amazed at how much boiling water it takes and how complicated that can get running from the kitchen to the weed patch with pan after pan of boiling water. Just "hot" won't do. I've had the idea to use one of those steam sprayers, but haven't tried it yet.

You can also kill weeds by covering them with black plastic or thick newspaper covered in mulch or dirt. Even an old sheet of plywood will work, if you don't mind how ugly that is. You've got to leave them covered for at least a few weeks to weaken them enough that they're easy to pull by hand. Leave them covered for a whole season to kill them without having to do much else, but realize that any seeds that were on the plants will probably germinate once they're exposed to sun and moisture. But they should be easy to keep up with by hand from there on out. Till and plant something you want before the "weedlings" have a chance to take over again.

With the woodier varieties of weeds, i.e. bushes and sprouting tree stumps, I've had some success pounding a penny into the meatiest part. It sounds a little nutty, but I'd read many years ago that copper in large enough amounts being absorbed into a plant will kill it. Not having any copper nails on hand, I made slits with an ax and then pounded in some pennies. It worked! Just remember to remove the pennies before you put that stump into the chipper.
by gardenmom32210 on July 09, 2004 10:41 PM
Here's where you can purchase the 20% vinegar(works great and is natural) 20% vinegar

Karen [grin]
by eyesoftexas on July 10, 2004 08:24 PM
Forget 20% vinegar.......use 100% distilled vinegar to kill roots in cracks and away from your plants. Hand pull weeds in the garden and mulch or use lasagne method to control weeds in the garden.

Love is the fairest flower in God's Garden!

"eyes"
 -
by dot on July 12, 2004 01:26 AM
Hello from a new member... [wayey]
I've been reading the comments about vinegar, etc and wondered if anyone could help me.
I have Bermuda (crab?) grass growing in my monkey grass. It's really a nightmare and I think the only way to get it out is to pull it or dig up the monkey grass, clump by clump. This happens to me every year. Does anyone know of a pre-season solution or have any tricks to getting it out a bit easier now?
Thanks in advance!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: