The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Since it's autumn and the deer are munching

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Simply Honeysuckle| Next thread: Since worms are so popular..... »
Back to Thread index
by Back Mountain NEPA on November 16, 2006 11:07 PM
I posted this tip previously, but thought I'd do it again. Actually, I had to search for it because the deer started sampling my daughter's new fruit trees and it occurred to me that others might also benefit.

This might be helpful.I got it from a local gardener who got it from a farmer. She swears by it and has used it without fail for many years. It may have appeared here before, but it's new to me.

Break a dozen eggs in a container and beat them to a froth. Let them sit for days until there's a good strong sulfur smell. Mix with a gallon of water in a sprayer and mist around the problem areas. The plants don't have to be drenched, and it doesn't wash away with the first rainfall. Eventually, the deer simply stopped coming near her yard altogether.
by Jiffymouse on November 18, 2006 12:18 PM
variations on that have been mentioned, but this time of year, it bears mentioning again! thank you [kissies]
by plants 'n pots on November 19, 2006 12:52 AM
Does this have a very strong smell to humans as well?
I have a 21 tree arbovitae hedge that borders my property - it is deer candy unfortunately, but winter is the worst time of all. I just don't want to hear from my unpleasant neighbor about the smell, you know?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Patty S on November 19, 2006 01:20 AM
I bought a powder from the feed store that's made from egg silods & hot peppers, & you mix it with water & vegetable oil or detergent. (The oil/detergent helps it stick to foliage.)
It's called "Not Tonight Deer"! www.nottonightdeer.com

It smells rancid in the sprayer Lynne, but after it's applied you don't notice it. I only use it in the summertime, as even though the oil helps the solution stick to plants, it rains so much here during the other seasons, that it's just a waste of money to keep applying it. (When I clean my hair brush, I put the hair on my rose bushes... deer don't hair in their food any better than anyone else does!) [Big Grin]

I've got a globe Arbovitae that the deer have NEVER touched! [shocked] I have a friend, 3 miles from me, who has a problem with the deer munching on her Iris, but I have probably 800 Irises right out in the open that have never been bothered! [dunno] Go figure!

-
 -
by AnnetteM on November 23, 2006 10:14 AM
Thank You for the "recipe" for the deer proof spray. I have tried the spray from the nursery (at $15 a bottle) and also the human hair (my sister is a beautician and swept up those clippings for me to try) and those techniques may have worked, it's just the matter of having to do it every year. Those deer ate my arbovitae terribly and I replaced them with Wigelia (sp?) and they haven't touched those. My white pine are the most susceptible in the spring when the new growths appear. I am definitely going to use this "egg" treatment and see if it works. The scotch pine I planted are doing wonderfully, however.
Thanks for the tip!
Annette [wavey]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Simply Honeysuckle| Next thread: Since worms are so popular..... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: