The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

peony pests

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: peony maintainance| Next thread: Peony Planting 101 »
Back to Thread index
by jannet55 on June 19, 2006 01:18 PM
My plant is about 5 yrs old and gets beautiful flowers but we do live in a temperate rain forest in Alaska (Ketchikan) and gardening gives us many a problem. One is my peonies have little tiny ants all over the buds. I have never had to use any pest control and so I don't know how to get rid of them. Can anyone give me some advice? thanks, jannet [nutz]
by jannet55 on June 19, 2006 01:31 PM
This was last year. They did well as they are young plants. Didn't have quite the wet, rainy spring that we have this year.

-  -
by afgreyparrot on June 19, 2006 02:17 PM
jannet55...the ants are a normal occurance on peonies. They don't do any harm. Some say that the nectar attracts them, and they actually help the buds open. (There was a topic about this...probably in the archives now...I'll try to find it.)
But, anyway, the ants will go away once the flower opens. [thumb]

Your peonies are beautiful!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by JAKE on June 21, 2006 08:37 AM
Don't get rid of the ants - peonies won't open without them. As Cindy mentioned, they'll go away once the flower opens. I have really big ants this year, and I find myself quite excited, as I know they're doing their job!!
I'm strange, I know. [Wink]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: peony maintainance| Next thread: Peony Planting 101 »
Back to Thread index