The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Thuja Tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Thuja| Next thread: Thumbs up to RainTree Nursery »
Back to Thread index
by Deborah L. on October 04, 2006 01:25 AM
Does anyone know if those thuja trees advertised as growing very big very quickly, really do, and how big do they get how fast?
Would the roots be invasive?

-
 -
by johnCT on October 04, 2006 07:45 PM
I have 20 Thuja 'Green Giant' that I planted on the back border of my property 3 years ago hoping to screen the interstate. They are in part sun conditions on the edge of a wooded area. They were 12" seedlings when I planted them and the ones in the most sun are probably only 3' tall now. I would guess that in perfect conditions they may grow as quickly as advertised, but I am not experiencing the "Three feet per year" claims. I bought my plants at the link below. I received great service and excellent product!

http://www.anythinggreen.com/store4.mv?p=TGG

Btw, I would guess that the roots would be no more of a problem as any other large tree.

John - Zone 6
by loz on October 04, 2006 11:17 PM
2 years ago I bought 4 of them. At the time they were probably all about 18 inches tall. Now they are oh around 2 feet tall---not much growth really.
by Deborah L. on October 05, 2006 07:39 AM
OK, thanks.
I was just curious-wasn't planning on getting one.
Wonder if anyone's ever tried that ad for the giant tomato tree?
I'll post over in Fruits and Veggies on that one.

-
 -
by wishfulthinking on October 05, 2006 09:24 PM
I have to differ on these. They have done extremely well for my mother under severe drought conditions, about doubling in height and trippling in width in just a year & a half. Under good conditions, they would be astounding. We purchased from a place called The Botany Shop in Missouri and were very pleased with the condition of the plants and the overall service. I'm planning to plant several as a scren here at my new house.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Thuja| Next thread: Thumbs up to RainTree Nursery »
Back to Thread index