The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dynamite Crepe Myrtles

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: dying yew shrubs| Next thread: E. oxypetalum »
Back to Thread index
by ceeview on September 13, 2006 04:35 AM
Hi All!

I just planted two Dynamite Crepe Myrtle trees for next spring. I read somewhere that they... "Hardy in Zones 6-9 (protect the first winter in Zone 6)". I am in CT...Zone 6 but I don't know what is meant by "protect".

The instructions I received with the trees didn't stipulate any specific 'winter' care. Does anyone know if I need to do anything special?

CeeView
by kennyso on September 13, 2006 04:47 AM
Protect, I usually take it as mulch, so I suggest piling dead leaves around the base of the tree to sort of protect the roots. If you wait a bit longer, someone who actually has a crepe myrtle might be able to help for sure

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by ceeview on September 13, 2006 05:10 AM
Thanks Kennyso...

I probably should have figured that out. Actually, when I planted them, I added mulch around the base so I might not have to do anything. We'll see....

Take Care!
by digital flower on September 13, 2006 08:26 AM
Hi ceeview,

I am from CT, too. I have been trying to grow Crepe Myrtles for awhile now. I am assuming from your handle your on the coast which is the only area of the state that they have a real chance. It seems every 10 years or so a really bad winter comes along and burns mine to the ground. So they seem to be root hardy in Zone 6 but the stems are sometimes damaged. Planting in a protected location is the best thing you can do (like along a south facing wall) for protection. I recently saw 'Dynamite' out on Long Island and fell in love with the color.

Daily Gardening Blog

Garden Photography
by ceeview on October 22, 2006 06:20 AM
digital flower,

I may be in trouble if what you say is the case with crepe myrtles. I planted mine in the front yard....two of them spaced apart.

If they don't grow well, I can get them replaced since the guarantee is one year from purchase date.

Thank You!

CeeView
by tkhooper on October 22, 2006 06:34 AM
You might want to get one of the Dwarf Crepe Myrtle if the trees don't work out. Becareful about mulching around the base of a tree. They can have trouble if anything is touching their bark. You might want to put some edging around the trunk to keep the mulch from touching it.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: dying yew shrubs| Next thread: E. oxypetalum »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: