The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

gladiolas...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Gladiolas| Next thread: Gladiolas »
Back to Thread index
by Jiffymouse on June 06, 2005 04:17 AM
sheri-bestofour asked about her glads... well, i told her i'd post when mine start to bloom, and they finally have, one has spent blooms, one is blooming now, and the others are thinking about it... so, you should see some soon [thumb]
by tkhooper on June 06, 2005 08:11 AM
mine are still leaves. This patience thing is the pits lol.
by weezie13 on June 06, 2005 05:17 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaa, mine are still in a bag!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on June 06, 2005 05:20 PM
lol@Weezie.

I luv you Weezie. [kissies] [thumb] You make things all better. My glads are looking real nice now lol. Even if they are just leaves.
by Elfinone on June 06, 2005 05:24 PM
I love glads, I plant them so I have them going all summer once they start to bloom.
I have yet to get them,lolol, won't be long before i will go get them and start to plant them continuosly when they start to pop above the ground.
[Wink]
by njoynit on June 06, 2005 05:26 PM
mine already bloomed.but are different bloom times for them and plus i'm a warmer region.just keep watching....it will shoot a stalk up.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by pcgrav on June 06, 2005 05:53 PM
Don't worry TK, mine are still leaves also. I planted about 50 bulbs in a straight row in front of my azealas. I plan on planting about another 100 or so when I get them in a couple of weeks. [Cool]

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by MaryReboakly on June 06, 2005 08:28 PM
leaves, leaves, more leaves. I have a zillion glads, and all leaves - harumph!

Hmm...so it's not too late to plant them yet? I won a package at a baby shower and haven't planted them yet....Yippee! LOL!

Mary

-
 -
by mike57 on June 07, 2005 06:00 PM
HI [wayey] all my glads are just now starting to put on the shoots i have one that has buds on it now so it should not be long befor they all go into bloom.i live in zone 7 so yall just be patient with them.weezie your a hoot [Big Grin] .your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by DAISYSMURF on June 08, 2005 06:41 PM
Continuing along the line of mary's question-is it too late plant bulbs of any kind. It is still technicaly(sp) spring and thats what it says on the bag!!
by tkhooper on June 08, 2005 07:05 PM
I'm in zone 7 too. They just like Mike better than they do me. (where's the pout greamlin?) Oh G-mom where are you? lol

But then I didn't get them in real early either so maybe that's it. I don't even think the leaves are full grown right now. I do know they are fighting maple seedlings and burmuda grass roots right now. I evidently didn't go down deep enough when I turned the soil. I dig up what I can but I don't want to go that close to the bulbs and maybe damage them so it's all hand picking close up and the seedlings/burmuda is winning.
by MaryReboakly on June 08, 2005 07:28 PM
T - there's no way of damaging those glad bulbs short of running them over with a truck. And it would have to be an 18 wheeler. Twice.

When I cleaned out the front of the house, I also turned the soil (pre-having a clue) thinking I'd be planting there, or something. I forget why I did it, but anywho... There were a buncha bulbs. I didn't know what they were. I tossed them all to the side (about 30 or so) finished digging and then tossed them back in, covering them with about 4" of soil. Maybe. One of the corms (I think, not 'bulbs'?) are actually sitting on top of the soil with glads growing! I couldn't believe it when thousands (ok may be I'm exaggerating) of shoots started coming up. I'm convinced there's no hurting these things. Hey! (lightbulb) I'll have glads to trade this fall! Wahoo! 'course if everyone grows em like this, nobody will want any LOL!

Anyway, I'm in zone 6, and they're still just leaves. Wonder if I did damage them, not realizing it yet, and they won't flower? Hmmm time will tell I suppose. Be right back...gonnna go get a picture of my zillions of glads (notice the numbers keep increasing)

-
 -
by mike57 on June 08, 2005 08:05 PM
HI DAISYSMURF you can plant bulbs just abought any time.as far as glads or other bulbs go. but you might not get any blooms on them till next year if you plant them real late. but tulips need to be planted in the fall for early spring blooms.i use a little bone meal when planting bulbs it gives them a burst of energy when they start to grow and gives them nice healthy blooms.hope this helps.your friend in gardening.mike57

-
by MaryReboakly on June 08, 2005 09:15 PM
Okay, here they are, all zillion of them!

-

-

Here's the corm I was talking about, just sitting on top of the soil!

-

Now all I need are some flowers! [Wink]

-
 -
by tkhooper on June 08, 2005 09:55 PM
Don't worry Mary, I think they are going to be a great trade item.
by DAISYSMURF on July 05, 2005 04:28 AM
My gladiolas are falling over, should I stake them?If so what with?
by pcgrav on July 05, 2005 04:46 AM
Yes-- there are items called plant stakes --a long metal stake with an open ring at the top made for just this purpose -- if you can get someone to make you some that's good You may be able to find them at a local store. You might also try a dowel and some old knee highs or string. I reccomend the nylons because they will be less likely to cut into the plant ....

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by tkhooper on July 05, 2005 06:31 PM
One of the glads is almost a flower. It's a real pretty red. Hope no one picks it until I get a picture of it in full bloom.

-
 -
by mike57 on July 05, 2005 09:14 PM
HI [wayey] all my glad where very very pretty this year and put on extra shoots of blooms.but some of mine did fall over to.placeing dowel rods helps a lot to hold the up.guess i will have to buy more rods next year i lost a few glads this year because they broke when i tryed to stand them back up [Eek!] but will be ready next year for them.hope evryones gardens are blooming well i know mine are [Wink] still have a lot more stuff to bloom yet like all my vine plants some are blooming now but some are slow to start.your friend in gardening.mike57

-
by Kurlie77 on July 06, 2005 02:57 AM
Lol weezie! Mine are all still in a bag too! Do you think its too late to plant them and expect flowers?
by Bestofour on July 06, 2005 06:45 AM
Thanks for remembering jiffy but mine started blooming a few weeks ago. Did you see the bouquet from yesterday. Some glads are in that vase and here they are about a week ago.

-

Remember when, I think it was Chrissy, started the thing where we were given someone's name to send presents too? Cindy sent me these. They are so pretty. I like pink a lot. We should do that again.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Gladiolas| Next thread: Gladiolas »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: