The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

leland cypress utrning brown

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Leggy Sheff.| Next thread: lemon blueberry chicken salad »
Back to Thread index
by eClaire on September 04, 2006 05:27 AM
hello all,

i have four relatively small (about 4 feet tall) leland cypress trees as a screen in my yard. 2 of the 4 trees are turning brown/yellowish all over. I think it is root rot of some kind based on my research...but we haven't had any rain in 2 months until two days ago (ernesto). i watered them every other day or so before that, and they have been fine until about a few weeks ago, and since then they have been steadily losing their green color. I have very heavy clay soil with poor drainage that i ammended when they were planted. no sign of pests on them either. i'm a little baffled.

any ideas/thoughts? thanks!

Claire
by M. D. Vaden of Oregon on September 05, 2006 07:25 AM
Brown or gold entirely inside and out, or mainly just the inner foliage?

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Web Site

Oregon Bigfoot Trap trail

Photo Albums - Oregon Scenery & Tree Care
by eClaire on September 06, 2006 07:28 AM
entirely inside and out. my husband claims that this happened last year as well, and the trees bounced back, but i am still worried.

Claire
by M. D. Vaden of Oregon on September 06, 2006 01:53 PM
That would be very odd to have happen two years in a row.

One year, not too surprising. Two, very strange.

There must be a good explanation.

Do they get any run-off of water from an area that might have had herbicides?

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Web Site

by eClaire on September 07, 2006 05:22 AM
Actually yes, I live about half a mile form the beach in a falt swampy area with little to no drainage, so who knows what is the ground water.

???? I am stumped.

Claire
by M. D. Vaden of Oregon on September 07, 2006 08:14 AM
Here is another way to evaluate the scene.

Is there anything large growing there already, that is doing well?

Established trees? Shrubs?

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Web Site

by Budman on September 08, 2006 12:41 AM
Claire, I have a friend who planted over two hundred Lelands a couple of years ago here in Va. and he had the same problem crop up. He lost at least a third of his trees and it took about two to three years for the damage to finally stop. He had an extension agent come out and look at them and he stated that they had a fungus that destroyed their roots and went from tree to tree. He did not remember what the name of the fungus was, and was told that there really was not much he could do by then to stop the infection, other than remove the infected trees. The fungus seems to have gone into remission or just went away as he has not lost anymore trees, but if the conditions are right, I am sure it could come back. He lost a lot of money to that fungus, I'll tell ya.
by eClaire on September 09, 2006 08:48 AM
I actually took a closer look today, and it seems that the inner part of the trees are turning brown while the outer folliage is a yellowish green, which still looks sick. it is some kind of disease or fungus, not sure how to treat it though. thanks for your help though, just looks like they may die before fall is over.

Claire
by M. D. Vaden of Oregon on September 09, 2006 02:53 PM
It sounds like a symptom that's shared by trees sitting in saturated soil.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Web Site

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Leggy Sheff.| Next thread: lemon blueberry chicken salad »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: