The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What shrub to plant in Dallas, Texas?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Oregon2 on August 30, 2006 11:23 AM
We have lived here 3 years, and for those three years I have watched everything I've tried in this one spot die! It's bloody frustrating.
Under the house overhang, faces north, with the most beautiful live oak tree in front, so you can imagine the amount of shade we get.........but nothing lives. I brought a camilla with me from Oregon, and finally planted it in this spot in the spring. It was doing beautifully: new growth, looked like it loved it..........then no rain, 40-some days of 100 and plus temperatures, and you guessed it: dead! What can I put there? I'd like something that would grow about 5 feet, flowers would be nice, I thought Encore Azalea, but even they need a little sun...........HELP!

Queen of What?
by TulsaRose on August 30, 2006 12:09 PM
Welcome to the forums! [Wink] Your spot sounds perfect for a Hydrangea. If they are watered on a regular basis, they are very dependable. Have you considered Hostas or are you interested in only shrubs? The weather in this part of the country has been tough on the plants the past year. Hopefully we'll have a better one coming up. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by M. D. Vaden of Oregon on August 30, 2006 12:17 PM
I suppose that you watered the Camellia about every other day, correct? If not, that's probably the problem.

Full shade but hot, right?

Still needs routine water if newly planted.

If you were watering it frequently, then there is something odd.

Does it have to have flowers, or can it be something like a yew?

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Web Site

Oregon Bigfoot Trap trail

Photo Albums - Oregon Scenery & Tree Care

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: