The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need information on Japanese Maple tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by NatureLover on August 05, 2006 06:40 AM
Dear all,
I just bought a bright Red Japanese Maple tree - 4 foot tall. It was propagated from other big one (by cut and wrapping soil on that cut) and almost 4 months old now. Gentleman who sold it to me said I have to wait until this Sept for planting.
Before I plant it on ground I need some information and advices:
The location I choose for my Japanese Maple is near to garden pond edge. Pond depth is 2 feet, on the North.
North side of Japanese Maple's location is 4'x6' pond. and cedar hedge is 8 feet away as wind break.
West side, North-West, South-West side: patio stone away 1 foot from Japanese Maple.
South and South-East: Grass.
North-East: Rose garden is away 5 feet from Japanese Maple.

1. Is this location suitable for my Japanese Maple ?
or any advice.
2. How tall and width this Japanese Maple can growth.
3. If it will be tall how can I trim to control its heigth.
4. I live in Ottawa, Canada. How I can protect it in the cold winter ?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Cheers.
by ammarson on August 08, 2006 09:31 AM
Hi NatureLover,

Grown in zones 5-8, red Japanese maples reach a height of 30’ with a spread of 20’. Plant in full to partial sun and well-drained soil. It should be planted in the spring or fall. I live in Ajax and I usually cover it once all the leaves have fallen.

Hope this helps

always in search of a champagne colored Hibiscus.
by LandArt on October 22, 2006 05:15 AM
Hello - what species of japanese maple is it, do you know? We've got a Trompenburg, and have also planted Bloodgoods . . .
by rainie on October 24, 2006 09:30 PM
There are many species of japanese maple so that will determine the height/width - I have three myself [clappy] I have found that they like protected areas, you want a little bit of a windbreak - mine are all near the house, I mulch it well and put tree tape on the base come winter so the critters won't eat them.
by digital flower on October 29, 2006 11:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NatureLover:
<snip...>
North side of Japanese Maple's location is 4'x6' pond. and cedar hedge is 8 feet away as wind break.
West side, North-West, South-West side: patio stone away 1 foot from Japanese Maple.
South and South-East: Grass.
North-East: Rose garden is away 5 feet from Japanese Maple.

That area sounds a little tight for a full sized Japanese Maple especially for the patio. It sounds more like a spot for a Weeping Japanese Maple. If you keep after them, they can be quite vigorous, they respond well to pruning. Japanese Maples do well around ponds and the cedars should provide a nice foil to the red foliage but depending on the size of you patio that seems a little close.

Daily Gardening Blog

Garden Photography

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: