The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dogwood or Japanese maple?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Dogs on the lawn| Next thread: Dogwood Problem »
Back to Thread index
by JoMac53 on August 03, 2006 11:37 AM
Well, here I am already with my third post! lol

I'm trying to decide on a tree to replace the silver maple we had to take down last year. I originally wanted a mimosa becasue of the lovely umbrella effect but I think it might be too tall for my postage-stamp yard. Besides, a lot of clean-up, from what I've read. So I think it's come down to a white flowering dogwood or a Japanese maple.

I love all three trees, though, so I'm having a hard time deciding. Trying to make this decision has been a good diversion for me from family problems...researching, reading, checking out trees in the neighbohood...only I've read that the fall is a good time to plant Japanese maples so I need to decide!

Any opinions or experience anyone wants to share?

Jo
by RugbyHukr on August 03, 2006 02:03 PM
consider an amur maple. they are smallish, have a sculptured branching habit, & turn great colors in the fall.

amur maple

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by ammarson on August 07, 2006 01:15 PM
Have you though of getting a Japanese Quince tree. In the summer, they produce little quince pears. Really very nice;

Japanese Quince

always in search of a champagne colored Hibiscus.
by johnCT on August 08, 2006 12:52 AM
You didn't mention what type of conditions it will be planted in. That will have a great impact on the decision.

John - Zone 6
by JoMac53 on August 08, 2006 02:07 AM
Wow! Thanks for the suggestions. They started me on an odyssey of learning about trees. Originally I was only considering the dogwood or Japanese maple because I didn't think there were any other tress small enough but now I'm putting off the decision until at least spring because I really had no idea there were so many different kinds of trees that would work here.

Sorry about forgetting the conditons of the location --

It's zone 7a with clay soil and on the southwest side of the house. Our lot is only 50' wide and there is a driveway on one side and the silver maple on the other side. It's in morning sun for about 5-6 hours and shaded the rest of the day. It's protected from heavy wind. I don't know the ph of the soil.

After talking more with my husband about what we want there, we think a tree about 25-35 feet tall with a spread of about the same. We don't want it as tall as the old silver maple but we would like as much of the shade back! lol

Jo
by johnCT on August 08, 2006 02:30 AM
There are many other possibilities Jo. Crabapples, Serviceberries, Redbuds. Why did you lose the Maple?

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dogs on the lawn| Next thread: Dogwood Problem »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: