The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ivy getting VERY attached to the skimmia in the garden

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Ivy Geranium Question HELP!| Next thread: ivy growing in lawn »
Back to Thread index
by emmarose on July 26, 2006 09:31 PM
Help!! The ivy is everywhere! I haven't gardened for a while as its the garden belonging to the acccomodation where I rent so I'm not around at the weekends, but I went outside yesterday and the skimmia thats there was suffering badly because of the sheer amount of ivy that wound itself around and through it. There's also another plant/tree (I have absolutely no idea what it is, although I know that in the five years I've been there its never flowered) that I had to cut right back because the ivy had wrapped itself around every branch, and the only leaves left on it were all withered and covered in brown spots and half the branches had died off.

How do I get rid of the ivy? It it just a case of getting to the source of each stem and pulling it out by the root (there are loads of them) or is there a weedkiller that would do the job? And is there any kind of feed I can give the skimmia to give it a bit of a boost after its ordeal?!?!

Thanks!

"Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of life's problems" - Homer Simpson
by luis_pr on July 26, 2006 11:34 PM
A weedkiller should not be used in this case because you have other plants nearby that the chemicals may affect.

Because I am not sure (a) just how big this monster ivy is, (b) how much of a root system it has already developed and (c) do not know if the three plants root systems are intertwined, I will suggest that you be "somewhat nice" to the ivy.

Rather than pulling ivy stems off the ground and finding that the ivy roots are intertwined with the roots of the other plants, try cutting the ivy stems near the ground and let them be until they dry out.

You can then separate the plants above ground or wait until the ivy has browned out. Use good pruners to facilitate this process.

In the future, if you see new leaves from the ivy, cut them immediately. You want to prevent it from growing new leaves. It is a very slow process but eventually, the ivy will die. It will also be safe for the other plants and their roots.

As for adding fertilizers and stuff, I would hate to comment since you do not know what one of the plants is. Certain shrubs should not be fed any more fertilizer beginning in the summer because all growth needs to be winter-hardy by the Fall. So, if they really look as bad as you say, Liquid Seaweed (works as foliar food too) would be the most I would recommend for a little while; follow label directions. Do not go overboard since this organic fertilizer will also be feeding the ivy's roots.

That is my suggestion. Good luck, emmarose!
by emmarose on July 27, 2006 01:57 AM
Hi Luis,

Thanks a million for the response! There's nothing worse than seeing ivy vines choking a beautiful shrub like a skimmia, but as I haven't been at this long I'd be afraid of doing more harm than good. Much appreciated, thanks again.

Emma

"Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of life's problems" - Homer Simpson
by dodge on August 03, 2006 01:23 PM
emmarose,

Why dont you did the skimmia up and put it elsewhere and kill the rest ? If you can ?

I have a few vines I mow to keep them down. PUrple one, and it is so invasive........I didnt try to kill it , cause it is in the lawn.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ivy Geranium Question HELP!| Next thread: ivy growing in lawn »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: