The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

bamboo help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bamboo anyone?| Next thread: bamboo houseplants »
Back to Thread index
by gailo on July 26, 2006 06:29 AM
I have just planted a bamboo that arrived in beautiful condition and after about 2 weeks looks awful. I don't know what is wrong. It is turning brown on the tips of the leaves even though I have been careful to water and mist it often. Do you think I am drowning it? Or could it be that it is planted too close to the Bay (I live on the edge of the Chesapeake) and the salt spray is affecting it? I really would like this to grow to be a barrier between my neighbor and us since they put all sorts of cars and junk right next to the fence in our view.

gailo
by Longy on July 26, 2006 09:16 PM
Gailo, is it a running bamboo or a clumping type?
If it's a running type, i suggest you dig it up. It will own your yard and the neighbours yard too. Almost impossible to get rid of.
If it's a clumping type, it may be suffering from transplant shock. It's the middle of summer afterall. I suggest you cut it back a bit and check to see the water you're giving it is getting to the root zone. They like plenty of water while they are actively growing but they don't like it to be boggy so drainage is important.
If the moisture levels seem OK in the soil, try giving it a weekly drink of seaweed extract. Don't fertilize until you see it pick up.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bamboo anyone?| Next thread: bamboo houseplants »
Back to Thread index